Coolant filter bracket? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2009, 06:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant filter bracket?

I've ordered the Napa/WIX filter base to add a coolant filter to my 01' X - I thought I might be able to find a good location for it without needing to do anything too crazy with some some steel, alas I've not found a good mounting location that will not require the use of a 5 ton press to bend the length of 3" strap I want to use.

I was wondering if anyone was aware of a) a good flat mounting surface for a coolant filter head I might have missed or b) an outfit that will sell just the bracket - I can drill my own holes in the mounting surface for the filter head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2009, 06:58 AM

Here's one. http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?...PROD&ProdID=94

Probably others, check the vendors sites. Might try a muffler shop. They could heat your strap with a torch and beat the snot out of it. They like that sort of thing.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:14 AM
Banned

Here is how I mounted mine using the Dieselsite kit. It mounts with two bolts to the frame. Also if you mount it there it is close to the coolant reservoir so you don't need as much hose. You may be able to just buy the bracket from them.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:31 AM

Here’s an option you can consider if you can drill holes in a piece of flat stock. I used a piece of 4” X 9” X 3/16” flat bar that I purchased at Ace hardware to make a mount for my external transmission filter. You can use the same location on the driver’s side to mount your coolant filter. I hope this helps out.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03-blue-Powerstroke View Post
Here is how I mounted mine using the Dieselsite kit. It mounts with two bolts to the frame. Also if you mount it there it is close to the coolant reservoir so you don't need as much hose. You may be able to just buy the bracket from them.

Your a 6.0. Beware of the diesel site mounting location. I installed one on my 02 and took it off because my hood wouldn't shut all the way.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:09 AM

is there a write up on how to do this? I really want to install a coolant filter.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005F250 View Post
Your a 6.0. Beware of the diesel site mounting location. I installed one on my 02 and took it off because my hood wouldn't shut all the way.
They also make a kit for the 7.3 that is different than the one for the 6.0. My boss has it on his cattle truck and it works great .
Old 06-07-2009, 10:39 AM

Here’s a link to another post with pics (post #13 on pg. 2) that I posted a couple of months ago. You can click the links on my post for information on the filter and filter base. You can also go to dieselsite.com and purchase the same filter and filter base with all the hose, fittings, bracket, and instructions as a kit.

Carquest coolant bypass system
Old 06-07-2009, 10:46 AM

I'm switching to CAT ELC today and I'm going to just plumb it in on the end of my HIH under the driver's floorpan on the frame rail - there are plenty of spots down there to mount it.

I can switch mounting points later. I'm putting in PEX ball valves so at most I'll lose a few ounces of ELC when I swap mount points.

That said does anyone know the pipe size of the plugs where the coolant is taken off for the heater and the one with the plug in the driver's side head? I think they're 1/2" -

I'm clean and dry to go to the hardware store to buy some stuff and would rather not have to crawl under the truck to look again
Old 06-07-2009, 07:05 PM

Ended up bolting the filter head on the driver's side using one of the radiator mount bolts until I rig up a bracket - it's pretty darned tight and won't move without really cranking on it. So for now it's mounted and works fine. I'll see if I can order just the bracket from one of the vendors. Man the CAT ELC is really purdy - that red is cool! Found it locally for 8.99 a 50/50 jug.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.