Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Recommended Oil(s)??

4K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  gbono2 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any good suggestions for oil?
I just bought a 2001 7.3L Excursion 4x4..
Its beautiful and the engine is in such great condition, but
im doing my first oil change and wanted any advice you
guys could give on fluids.. What do you recommend for an
oil change? Rotella T synthetic? 5w30? i have 200k miles..
And for the front and rear diffs, what oil and weight would you
recommend? thanks so much.. daily driver truck.. no towing..
mostly highway and groceries!! :(

-David

:icon_ford:

#2 ·
oils

Well, for the engine oil, you might be better off to stay with Rotella dino oil instead of going to synthetic. I think i saw your engine has 200k miles and sometimes on these older higher miles motors you gotta leave the synthetic alone because it can cause the gaskets to leak.

Hope this helps.

#8 ·
Well, for the engine oil, you might be better off to stay with Rotella dino oil instead of going to synthetic. I think i saw your engine has 200k miles and sometimes on these older higher miles motors you gotta leave the synthetic alone because it can cause the gaskets to leak.

Hope this helps.
Wrong this was true with the synthetics of 20 years ago. The modern synthetics will not cause gaskets to leak.

#4 ·
I was at WalFart last night and they have Motorcraft Diesel oil in 5 quart jugs for $11.50. Any one know if the Rotella is that much better to go with it instead of the Ford stuff?

#5 ·
I would stay away from the synthetics just because you have a high mileage rig.... and in the case that it burns a little oil, you won't want to be replacing it with spendy synthetic.
We run Shell Rotella T in our truck fleet of 100 Trucks, and that is what I use in everyone of my personal vehicles... Even Gassers.. So I would go with that.

As for your diffs, get Amsoil Severe Gear 75-140.

#6 ·
yeah its funny my local ford dealership wants to charge me 100 plus tax and fees for a motorcraft regular diesel oil and filter change.. even retail its only like 45 bucks in parts.. usually shops try and make 5-10 bucks max on oil changes.. but not ford!! thanks ford!! :bottom:

:icon_ford:

#7 · (Edited)
Davey: Rotella-Delo-Mobil Delvac-->All 15W-40. If you live in a region that has really cold winters? I would think about a 5W-40 syn, for the winter months. Or just plug your 7.3L in. Use a good filter-->M1-MC-Fleetguard-ect Don't use Fram. Change your Oil around the 5K mile mark. Maybe 3K to 5K depending on if you have alot of stop and go driving...{Short Trips}.

Rear Diff-->75W-140 synthetic--->3 to 4 qts. If you have a LimitedSlip you {might} have to add a bit of friction modifier.
Front Diff..>75W-90 synthetic or dino-depends on how often you use the 4x4.-->3qts.

Transfer Case--Automatic Transmission Fluid--2qts. Regular ATF will work fine. If you will be using your 4x4 alot, ya might want too pour in Synthetic ATF. These things can heat up pretty good if used hard and often.

Enjoy your awesome new investment.

Look here for general Maintenance info... Great guy and site.
Welcome to guzzle's Ford PSD Maintenance Web Page

#9 ·
oil

David

Good luck & you are welcome.

I have a 2001 4x2 Excursion & have only used Shell Rotella with no problems. I just feel your engine will not revolt if you if you feed it this oil----- so, why risk a synthetic? My X only has 80,000 miles. I recently wanted to change over to synthetic & had several good diesel mechanics advise to not change her diet.

Enjoy your big ride.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.