Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

7.3 project pickup

1K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Dave 
#1 ·
so i got my hands on a 7.3 motor and tranny for nothing and i have a 1990 chevy sport pickup and i was thinking on throwing my diesel engine and trans into it and make it faster then the engine in it now 400 clevland all camed lol its fun to drive and think a turbo set up with a big *** stack would be fun i have mechanical experience and own my own shop but new to diesels so my questions is for the project guys who have done this sort of thing...what is need for the swap wireing harness and all that good stuff...that is if i can get that big *** motor to fit in it lol but i think with the right amount of planing cutting and welding i can make it work i just need to know what ill need to get it running and smooth i mean fuel lines and pump set up and all that good stuff any help would be gladdly taken in thanks guys!:icon_ford: also i cut the chevy sign off and put a ford logo on haha i feel its more ford then it was ever a chevy

#2 ·
you have a 400 ford in the chevy truck right now?

#5 ·
:hehe: If you went through that much trouble you should have dropped in a 460 or 429 :thumb:

#6 ·
i had the 400 haha and i didnt have to spend any money on it and it was already all fixed up so i went with that instead of buying a new motor and i could always stiffen up the suspension and why would the frame be to weak?

#8 ·
the frames on those trucks are thin/weak.. and I would think unless your goin to tie it or box the frame if that 7.3 makes decent torque/hp you will twist it like a pretzel

#9 ·
im not going for anything insane keep in mind nothing to insane just the 7.3 with a programmer and exhaust and few other goodies nothing crazy and even if that is gonna twist it perhaps i better support the frame a little:dunno: is it possible

#10 ·
add some bracing to the frame I suggest a X brace where the cab and box meet thats where the most stress is and thats where the frame flexes a lot ..

before I put the roll cage in my F150, the truck twisted enough the cab and box hit leaving the line at the drags the box on the 70's fords kind of wraps around the cab.. so I put a full roll cage in it and tied it into the rear through the back of the cab under the window into the bed about 8 inches from the tailgate .. dont twist now

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.