Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Which powerstroke to get??

2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  spoolinturbo 
#1 ·
Im looking for honest opinions cause i know most of the time newer is better. But im looking to spend around $6,000 or under for a powerstroke. I have found a few older 97's etc and i found a couple 99's and a 2000. Which is my best bet for cheapness and add ons? Ease of hop ups etc? Im looking for a manual trans 4x4 that i can build up to have some good power (i pull ALOT OF WEIGHT) I'm not even gonna lie i want a duramax in the worst way but there way to expensive. So what will be my best bet? And what will be my easiest power adders?

Im trying to figure out if i should buy the one 97 i found for $3,500 OBO and spend the rest of my money on building it up. Or if i should throw out all my money and buy the newer 99 or 2000 and wait till i get more cash for mods. Any help will be greatly appriciated.
Thaks Josh

#3 ·
A late '99 or 2000 superduty is gonna be my first pick... OBS ('94-97) didn't have the intercooler. Early '99 is #2 pick, then a OBS #3.

#4 ·
Oh really?? I thought all were intercolled. Thats deff got me leaning towards the 99 or 2000. Just curious now on do they sell intercooler kit's for the obs?

#5 ·
It's probably more than it's worth anyway. How much more power can be made with the newer one? Also im looking into the edge programmers. How are they for the powerstrokes?? I know it worked wonders on my dads Dmax. It was like night and day

#6 ·
well, it may have worked wonders on the d-max but they suck on the powerstrokes!

If you wanna go the tuner route, go get a tony wildman 6 position chip.... about as expensive, but a heck of alot better for the powerstroke!

then you should do cold air intake and turbo-back exhaust........ really get her breathing right! :thumb:

#7 ·
Thats what i was wondering about the edge on the powerstroke. Cause i know they most of the time put all there eggs in one basket. So it maybe good on the Dmax but like you said sucks on the powerstroke. Im looking at pretty much as soon as i get the truck it will have a tuner with stacks. ( i know some people hate stacks but my last diesel truck had 8" stacks and i loved them) So pretty much with in weeks of buying the truck it will have intake and exhaust and hopefully a tuner.

On a second not Are all powerstokes etectronic? Cause i know i couldn't put a tuner on my 94 cummins cause it had the manual pump and there was nothing a tuner could do.

#8 ·
yes all powerstrokes are electronic.my 97 does everything i need,it looks good,sounds good,good power,whats not to like.if you buy an obs and put the few grand that you have left,it will be much more powerful then the sd is in stock form.intake exhaust,3" downpipe then get some stage 2 sticks,tw chip for them.dont think you will need more oil for that or not.upgrade your clutch and pick up an intercooler from a newer 7.3 or 6.o for a couple hundered bucks and you should have a anywhere from 330-375 rwhp also in the 650+ tq i would think.thats what i would do.i think a chip on the sd will net you a max of around 310-320rwhp.could be wrong though.obs will be alot more work,but you willbe proud of it when its done.with all that done,it will pull like the new dmax.

#9 ·
I say a 99.Forged rods still and its a superduty and not as out dated of a truck.Plus superdutys are intercooled and have a better fuel system,tranny and so on.Just make sure its not an early 99 just because there is not as much after market support.

#10 ·
Another question. How are ford auto trannies?? I heard alot of not to good things about the 97 era 4 speed auto's. What year did they go to 5 speed or 6 speed? And how do they hold up? And at the same time how do the 97 auto's hold up? Cause im deffinityl looking for a late 99 and up and would like manual but i can move a little on what i want exactly

#11 ·
Autos are the weak link. If you don't mind and can find one, a stick is good... If you go auto, it's not if, it's when will you need to put a trans in it.

#13 ·
go 4 a manual...stronger tranny !!!

#14 ·
Thats what i kinda figured. I'll stick with the manual cause i'll be towing alot. Thats the main reason i got rid of my cummins truck. It had everything and anything done to it and pulled like you wouldn't believe but them auto trannies are flat out junk (and the truck's pretty ugly). I was going to put a allison 6 speed in it but it wasn't worth the money the truck itself was falling apart. So i think i made up my mind i'm deffinitly going to try getting the 99 or 2000 powerstroke manual trans

#16 ·
good choice i love my sd, but if you cant find one for a reasonable price the obs trucks are really nice too!

#17 ·
After over looking my finances i don't think im going to be able to afford a SD. I'll be able to buy a obs and put exhaust and a tuner and maybe some other little things. Is there any difference between like 94-97? At all between engine and also truck? Interior exterior etc? Cause if i can get a 94 thats in nice shape i would rather have that than a beat 97. Let me know of any differences cause from what i know there the same trucks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.