Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

R-R brake caliper?

945 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  szyd 
#1 ·
I installed a new brake caliper. I was having trouble bleeding I bled and bled and no matter what i did I had no peddel. I bled all 4 corners and nothing. Master is fine no air in the lines but tons of peddle travel. I did not reaplace the pads as they were new not long ago and had plenty left. Oh and no leaks anywhere. One thing i did notice on the new caliper is that the pistons reatract all the way back in after you pump them up. It seems as if that is where my peddle travel is going it has to take up the slack before it will brake. My Qestion is has any body had this and is the check valve in the caliper or the truck some where?

#3 ·
You have air in that caliper. Open the bleeder and just leave it open until fluid starts to come out with gravity, shut the bleeder, then bleed the brakes like normal. Pump them up until you get a real high pedal, and open the bleeder till the pedal hits the floor, repeat, do it until the pedal is able to pump up and stays firm. If you can't get that to work, try having the person in the truck push down the pedal after you open the bleeder, then close it before he/she lets the pedal come back up. Do that a couple times and then try to bleed like usual. Hope that helps

#4 ·
You have air in that caliper. Open the bleeder and just leave it open until fluid starts to come out with gravity, shut the bleeder, then bleed the brakes like normal. Pump them up until you get a real high pedal, and open the bleeder, do it until the pedal is able to pump up and stays firm. If you can't get that to work, try having the person in the truck push down the pedal after you open the bleeder, then close it before he/she lefts the pedal come back up. Do that a couple times and then try to bleed like usual. Hope that helps
Bleeding brakes this way can blow the master cylinder.

You could very well have air in the caliper. And keeping the bleeder valve open will allow the brake fluid to work through the caliper. Once you have a steady stream of fluid flowing by gravity. You can start bleeding the brakes.

What you do is. Open the bleeder valve have someone step on the pedal. Then when the pedal hits the floor. The person holds it there. The other person closes the valve. The pedal is released then the valve is opened. Keep repeating until you have constant fluid flow when the pedal is depressed and the valve open.

Remember when bleeding brakes you need to keep the master cylinder full and the cap off.

#6 ·
Thanks guy but i have tried bolth methods. I have even hooked up a vacume pump and tried it that way. I am no stranger to brakes I have done them on diferent vehicles for a while now including the other three on my truck. But this particular problem has me stumped. The piston should stay out touching the pads to the disc so when you apply presure you have brake right then. This caliper is sucking its self back in. So every time i brake i have to take up the slack.

Big county you mentiond a check valve in the line. Do you think that could be it? or did i get a bad caliper? The old caliper was siezed thats why i replaced.:thumb:

#7 ·
For the price I would replace the brake hose. Just the rubber one.

The only other part that I can think of would be the porportioning valve.

#8 ·
Thanks i dont think it is the porportioning valve as the passenger side is fine. I will get a rubber line. it acts as if a chech valve is stuck open and allowing the fluid to back feed. Thanks again guys for the ideas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.