Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Water Seperator?????

1K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  gtmgooser 
#1 ·
Guys, I have a 2000 F250 4x2 with the 7.3 turbo. I was talking with my neighbor lastnight and he was draining the water seperator on his 08 Super Duty. I didn't realize it was something that needed to be done from time to time. Where in the heck do I find this on my 2000? It hasn't been drained since I purchased it last year so I'm sure it's due.

Please help the new guy here...

Thanks,
George

#2 ·
if it's the same as my 01, i'm not sure as i'm new to diesels myself. There is a yellow valve right behind the fuel filter that you open. Someone told me to drain it for about 30 seconds or until you see clean fuel. I hope this helps, if i'm wrong someone please correct me so I don't give wrong info and that i'm not doing this wrong myself.

#3 ·
Idrain minbe every 6 months.

#4 ·
Driver's Side Right below the back cab,,6MM Allen Key Remove & drain about 15 seconds till you get only Diesel draining out!

#5 ·
Huh? Nothing like that on my 2000. Your signature also says you performed a DPF delete on a 2003 truck? That's pretty tough to do since the first DPFs weren't put on until several years later.

The water seperator is the same thing as the fuel filter on our 7.3 trucks and the water is drained by turning that yellow lever on the fuel bowl. Don't do it with the engine running since it is under about 60 psi of pressure. Do expect the diesel to make a mess of your engine as it drains the diesel from a spout right at the front of the pside head, and don't do it too often.

That last one is maybe just a paranoid fear since the last time I messed with that valve I had to replace the O-rings since they started leaking fuel all all the time which is very common on these trucks these days. I don't plan to use that water drain unless I have a problem or unless I change the fuel filter since those O-rings are a pain in the butt.

#6 ·
x2

Unless you get bad fuel there should be no water. Jazz that knob a few times
and it is almost guaranteed it will leak. I only drain it when I change the fuel
filter...

If you have had the truck a year, then it is probably late for the filter change
anyways.

#7 ·
Wow, I drain mine every other oil change and change tge filter every 4. I should do it a bit more often, but....

As Far as the O-rings go, I had to change mine once since I bought it 2.5 yrs ago. Took me about 20-30 minutes, and 8 bucks. It's not that hard. I don't think mine had ever been done and it started leaking about 4000 miles after I had last messed with it.

Just drain it for a few seconds into a clear container and let it sit for 15 minutes and look in the bottom, it's never much, but I always have at least a few droplets of water in the bottom. You cably are them at first because they will be in a bunch of tiny drops. BTW, it takes a buddy or a piece of hose to get it into anything but a large drip pan due to the drain tune stopping at the front passenger side of the oil pan.
-Aaron

#10 ·
Thanks guys... turns out I was draining this all along. I did replace the fuel filter 3K ago and at the same time changed the O rings out on that yellow lever because they were leaking. I guess I was just thrown because my neighbore was under the side of his truck draining his and that made me think twice about what little I do know about these diesels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.