Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Pyrometer Probe Help

791 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  shu873 
#1 ·
Going to tackle installing my egt probe today. Any tips on getting er done. Ive heard grease the bit dont grease the bit. Keep the motor running dont keep the motor running. Im confused.

First off I am going to start with a smaller drill bit to start a pilot hole for the bigger bit. Then just drill slow.

Lemme hear what yall have to say. THanks

#3 ·
Going to tackle installing my egt probe today. Any tips on getting er done. Ive heard grease the bit dont grease the bit. Keep the motor running dont keep the motor running. Im confused.

First off I am going to start with a smaller drill bit to start a pilot hole for the bigger bit. Then just drill slow.

Lemme hear what yall have to say. THanks
what ahole would say to keep the motor running? thats HOT

#5 ·
No grease, point your hole downward an 98% of the chips will hit the ground. Hopefully you are installing in either the up-pipe or the manifold.
When tapping run the tap in 1 turn then back out 1/2 turn to clean the chips out, and make sure not to run the tap all the way in since it's tapered and your fitting probably won't fit if you run the tap all the way in.

#6 ·
Motor off. No grease on the bit. Drill the driver's side manifold right before it turns up to the up pipe. Pilot hole is good then the 27/64 or whatever bit your instructions call for. Thread the tap one turn in, half turn out. Repeat over and over until the hole is tapped. Use a lot of lube when you're tapping it. Taps are very brittle and don't like to be torqued around. Before you install the bung take a magnet and insert it in to the threaded hole to remove any excess shavings. I also use a shop vac as well to be thorough.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.