Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Tranny Filter Location??

781 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  tubular031 
#1 ·
Can someone please tell me where the inline tranny filter is located?

Please excuse the newby question. Thanks

#2 ·
Here, lemme help you.
First, go to an autoparts store or online and....

GET A SHOP MANUAL!!!!

:hehe:

To access the filter, you must drain the transmission, and take the pan off. It will be the large black plastic.... Well, FILTER looking thing.

#4 ·
I have a manual but it is not with me at present. :haha:
Also, as I understand it the filter in the pan does not need to be replaced. I am refering to the auxiliary filter.

#3 ·
I don't believe that there are inline filters on for that tranny. They are on the Torqueshift though (behind the 6.0)

#5 ·
OK Thank you.

#6 ·
Dieselsite sells a nice inline filter mod for the 7.3s.

most 7.3s dont have one. some might have a little magnafine filter on the cooler line.

#7 ·
Thanks that's good info. and the kind I need! I'm no dummy...just new to this diesel game but really enjoying it.:thumb:

#8 ·
You shouldn't have an external filter unless it was added as an aftermarket or by some crazy ford dealer. I would go a bit farther and say you don't want one either, at least that is what research on this site and others has shown.

#9 ·
my bad. skipped right over the word " In line".... :crazy:
As stated, there isnt one, typically.

#10 ·
as long as there is a bypass in the filter head I dont see it being an issue. I would not run a filter with out a bypass. I am going to be building my own pretty soon. the diesel site kit is good but a bit much (but then again its some good stuff too)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.