Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

New here...need some help/advice

621 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  WF350 
#1 ·
First off I apologize if this is in the wrong spot or if I've made a repost. I've been looking over the site for a little over an hour now and can't find what I'm looking for. I've been eyeing this truck

1999 Ford F-350 XLT Super Duty - Carleton Place, Ontario Used Car For Sale

and I'm trying to find any articles/threads of what/any problems to look for when purchasing. I'd also like to take a look at anything that can give me more pertinent info like what axles are under it, timing chain or belt, locked/open diffs, and things like that. I do most of my own work but I like to know what I'm getting into as far as possible problems or PITA jobs on it. I'm not buying it to do any moajor off roading but just to have a strong and reliable vehicle that can get me through the ****tiest of winters and through the occasional non maintained roads when I go camping. Thanks for any help you can give!

#2 ·
This truck will have the 7.3 which is a bulletproof engine. As far as the other stuff you mentioned you can take the vin and speak to a ford dealer service advisor and they can pull it up for you. I would have an oasis test done which will tell you everything that has been done to the truck by a dealer. You could become a supporting member and get it done here for free, but I am not sure where you would get it otherwise, maybe the dealer. Ford trucks are pretty reliable and if it has been maintained it will give good service for a long time to come. Oh and WELCOME to the ORG!!

#3 ·
Thanks for the response go fast. Unfortunately the Ford dealer here wants nothing to do with you when it comes to vehicles that they haven't sold :(. They were the first people I went to when I became interested in it. I'm waiting on an oasis report to see if anything major has happened in the last 10 years or so. Hopefully it comes up clean. Is there a thread anywhere on here that lists common problems to look for when purchasing? I'm going to go take a look at it and hopefully they let me test drive it on my own so that I can give it a quick once over on my own.

Thanks again

#4 ·
Send me the vin and I will get the info from my dealer. All it will take is a phone call. I would help this dealer all I could because the best advertising is word of mouth and the worst kind of advertisment is word of mouth!

#5 ·
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2957932/4

Added some pics of the underside/engine from when I test drove it. It doesn't feel as powerful to me as I thought it would. If you start rolling from a stop and floor it theres no spinning of the tires or anything. It gets up to speed OK but I guess with 500lbs/ft I thought it would get up a little better. It also feels like something slips in the rear end when you first leave. It also does it when you come to a stop. Feels like something binds up when you leav and it "resets" itself at a stop. It could just be me not being used to it I guess.

#6 · (Edited)
Stock trucks don't spin the the tires unless turning, but the 7.3 is a work horse and will keep rollin with regular/minor maint. Can't help much with the trans issue, It wasn't until the 6.0 Ford figured out that the trans was majior down fall of the diesel world. So with the new emission laws they made the 6.0 that had its own problems that took few years to fix and a dang good trans that is good for about 500hp so I'm told.

Almost forgot :ORG welcome: The ORG is a great place to learn and hang out. Look in the home town forum to find you local area.

#7 ·
Yeah I wasn't sure. Its not like spinning tires is a high priority but I figured that if I got on to it it would give a little more. If its normal then its OK...I have no frame of reference for how these trucks should drive so its all a little new. I think I'll lowball him (the interior is pretty bad, no AC working, headlights are sandblasted etc) and see if he goes for it. The drivetrain slip is what has me worried the most. If its normal I'm cool with it...but if it isn't I don't want to have to start taking it apart to fix things as its going to be a DD. My friend is going to go give it a drive when he has a few minutes...he has a Banks modded Cummins that hauls really well. He's more familiar with these ones than I am. Hopefully its good news.

Thanks for the welcome BTW!

#8 ·
Banks :hehe::hehe: But I guess that what happens when you get a Cummins:doh:

If you want to mod your ride to be do your reasearch, Banks is ok but their is better things out on the market for any truck.

The AC is usually an easy fix, new O-ring and a charge, but trans can get costly. Most everybody puts SunCost or ATS parts in to make a nonstop trans.

Head lights are a no biggie e-bay for cheap or you could upgrad to an 05-07 front end. Little more but I think they look better than the 99-04.

#9 ·
Banks is ok but their is better things out on the market for any truck.
I totaly agree but he bought the truck that way. The small things don't bother me 'cause I'll just use them to negotiate the price down. Its the slip I feel that does. It feels like something has shifted a couple of inches. It has 37's on so for all I know it could be a case of axle wrap but it also does it every now and again when it stops.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.