Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Advice on what to look for when buying a super duty

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  redwoody 
#1 ·
I'm not really sure where to post this, but given my price range, I'll probably be ending up with a 7.3 instead of a 6.0.. I'm pretty much new to the powerstroke world, so any tips on what to look for when buying would be very helpful. Price range is roughly 13k+tax... so around 14k total. I have found one great deal already, but I was a day late on a pretty clean 04 reg cab with 99k on the clock a clean carfax and a box and plow included for 11.9k and it was sold. the test drive is what made me want a superduty, so now I'm set on one. 14k is a realtively large purchase for me so I want to make sure I spend it wisely. I also am curious about the pro's and con's to the 7.3 vs. the 6.0. I have heard that the early 6.0's had issues but I don't know the truth to that. Truthfully, I would like a 6.0 but maybe thats because I'm uneducated on the 7.3's.. Basically where it stands, I've been told that the 7.3 is more reliable but makes less power and gets less mileage.

I'm also curious to know how long the trannys last and when I should be expecting any trouble to start (mileagewise) at any point on the truck. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
I hate to bash the 6.0L but....
I just bought my 2nd 7.3. Nothing wrong with the first 7.3 I had...long story.
Anyway, I could have bought a 6.0L but chose a 7.3 because of the better fuel economy, longevity, and trouble-free performance (and I just plain love this engine) My last truck was a 2006 2500 with the Cummins and I don't miss it one bit!!!! These 7.3L engines are near bullet-proof. You can easily hop them up to perform quite well. The 6.0 has been plagued with so many issues I don't know where to begin. Some 6.0's are trouble-free though. It's hit or miss. If you get one, don't mod it. Leave it stock. They tend to fly apart faster if you chip them. And, avoid any '03 or '04 6.0's. All years for the 7.3 were great. The late model 99's through '03's had intercoolers and the new body style. Do a search for 6.0L problems/troubles (lawsuits!). Research and proceed carefully!! good luck!

#3 ·
Sounds good. I did find an 01 CC Lariat with 90k on the clock for 14.9k .. I'm gonna shoot for that price with tax included and see if they bite. Sound like a decent price or should I keep looking? It seems to be in nice shape.. this all pending a clean carfax of course.

#4 ·
that's a grand less than I just paid for my '02 Lariat CC 4x4. As long as it's in excellent shape and after a thorough inspection by your mechanic, I'd say go for it. a few things to check are:
1) ball joints
2) oil leaks - especially near the HPOP
3) scan computer for codes
4) exhaust leaks all around turbo
5) transmission shifting and condition of fluid
6) front and rear diff drain plug and condition of fluid
7) condition of compressor wheel/ any dirt in the intake??
8) oil test if you have time and only if was not just changed
9) inspect body for signs of collision repair
10) air conditioning (37°F +/-)
11) nitrate, molybate, freeze point "test strip" test of coolant
12) transfer case fluid review
13) test drive of course for any weird sounds and overall drive-ability

those are some of the big issues to check.
best of luck
(damn it feels good to be back in a 7.3L!!!)
:thumb:

#5 ·
So near the turbo is a common place to develop leaks on the 7.3? The trans was actually a question I forgot to ask about. The one I test drove was an 04 6.0 but I'm assuming the transmissions are the same or similar correct? I did notice that when not on the throttle that much, pretty much normal driving, that the trans shifted for what seemed to be extremely early and very fast. I was in top gear within about 5 seconds or so from a rolling start of about 10mph. I only justified it in my head as it's a diesel and makes enough torque down low that that's probably how they were designed and is normal shifting for them. Would I be right to assume this, or does that seem like something is wrong? I just want to know because I'm about to go drive another one in a minute here and am wondering this.

Also wondering if a 99 reg cab 4x4 with 156k on it would be worth the $11,000obo asking price (assuming decent shape). Thats what I'm going to go look at right now. Would you buy one with 156k on it or should I keep looking for something with less miles? of course I realize thats all relative to how hard it's been driven, but I have no way of knowing that short of looking up underneath, so just in general, how much trouble free life should I expect out of a truck with that kind of mileage? if any

I also found an identical truck that has been plowed and generally not taken care of all that well with a little bit less miles on it for $8,900obo. at that price I could afford the repairs it would need from abuse if I had to. How tough are these motors? can I buy one thats been beat on and not really worry? I know the trans would probably be an issue but like I said, at that price, I could replace it.

Sorry for the essay, haha, I'm just not having luck finding too many of these trucks around and am thinking I might have to make do with something less than what I'm looking for.

Appreciate the responses so far redwoody, thank you.

#7 ·
Again, I hate to bash the 6.0 but I would stay VERY CLEAR of the '03 and '04 6.0's in particular. Many problems in those years. The trans is completely different in the 6.0L. The 6.0's had a better transmission. I had to have my last tranny (in the 2000) rebuilt. it was $2700 and came with a 2 year warranty. He new my mods and that I towed 8000 lbs. I'd rather deal with tranny issues than constant engine (6.0) issues. (believe me!!!)

11k for a regular cab seems a bit steep. Geography has a lot to do with price. and obviously, Crew Cab, short boxes are in high demand. Those that are Lariat even more in demand. Maybe around 8k for that reg cab. depends upon the shape. Mileage is of no concern if it was well-serviced including air filters, engine oil, and coolant treatments.

I'd stay away from any truck used to plow snow. you can get bent frames, and effed up tranny's, steering components, etc. Plowing (if done incorrectly by a rookie) is hard on the auto tranny!!

good luck

#6 ·
Remember that the transmission replacement can easily climb past 4000$ on these things. The typical place to find oil and fuel leaks is by looking into the valley of the V of the V-8 diesel engine. The turbo can leak, and a few other O-rings can leak there. No real problem though.

I bought my truck less than a year ago for 11000 and it only had 127000 miles on it. A regular cab, 1999, should be less than 10,000$ in my market. That's a 10 year old truck for crying out loud.

#8 ·
I hear ya on geography dictating price. Seems I'm in the wrong area for the truck I'm looking for. I'll definitely take your advice on staying away from 03 04 6.0's. It wouldn't be the first time I heard that.

I did find a nice 99 that's a 6 speed. I haven't heard much about the manuals in these trucks though, are they any good? I will be plowing with the truck and towing a car and trailer on a pretty regular basis.

#9 ·
I have heard (I don't know for fact) that the 7.3L's with manual trannys had a bit more horsepower than their brothers with AT's. I am no expert especially with the 6.0 but I have heard one of the best things you can do to a 6.0 is block off or remove the EGR. that thing it is a root cause for many of the 6.0 problemos.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.