Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

gear shifter loose help fix please

10K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  Richard.usmc 
#1 ·
well my automatic gear shifter is really loose in my truck any thoughts on how to fix it?

#2 ·
If you mean it says its in reverse but actually in park there is a clip you can adjust on the transmission where the cable from the shifter goes. If its just loose i think i read there were bearings in the column

#4 ·
Look at the Base, and wiggle it, if the whole column that its connected to is loose, you need a new column thing, but if its just wiggling inside the the holder, and the column is fine, wedge a piece of metal or even paper or wood in there, itll keep it snug. no one will see it. kinda Ghetto but its a free fix and no more loose shifter.

#7 ·
It's pretty common on the 94-2003 trucks. As it was said above, there is some screws in the column that could be loose..

#9 ·
the shifter tube is held in place on top of the steering column by two caps those caps are held in place by two torx screws each... they can get loose.. some times the bracket that holds the shifter cable to the column also gets loose its also held on by torx screws.. your going to get on your back on that one and look under the dash.. when you wiggle it it should be obvious....

#14 ·
This website is great, I recently developed a problem with my shifter getting so sloppy that I was having a hard time getting it to lock into park and was having to move it to neutral to get it to start. A 2 minute search and I found posts about 2 torx head screws at the bottom of the steering column. I went outside and put my head against the brake pedal and looked up, sure enough there were the 2 screws and they both were very loose, one was about to fall out. A #30 torx bit and ratchet and about 1 minute of work and she is now all better. That was a very quick and easy fix to a problem that has been very dangerous for a few weeks now.

#17 ·
Mine wasn't so easy . . . snapped the case and the shaft broke in half! Fixed this a few months ago. For access all you have to do is take out the 4 column nuts and the whole steering column comes down far enough for you to access everything w/o having to touch the dash fyi.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.