Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Project coming up

559 views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  PowerSTOKED_Bryan 
#1 ·
Soon prabably next weekend i am putting o rings in the turbo and glow plugs in. I was just gonna do the o rings but i figured i got half the stuff out of the way might as well do glow plugs since its got 170000 on the originals. I just need to know everything i need. It will be a friday night saturday project so i cant really go get extra parts in the proccess. I am also wondering what else i should do with the valve covers off. As far as i know they have never been off before.
Heres what i think i need:
O rings
Glow plugs
Up pipe boots
Turbo bolts

Should i go a head and do valve cover gasket/harness while i'm under there. Also is there any other gaskets in the turbo or just the o rings. I would also appreciate cheaper places to get these parts than from ford. Thanks guys this forum saves me time and money so often and i really appreciate others knowledge.

#3 ·
do you experience any turbo surge? you may want to look into maybe an ATS housing, gutting the exhaust back pressure valve, maybe the uppipes (donuts) if they are leaking, wicked wheel (if they arent on back order still). the exhaust backpressure valve will supposedly start to leak oil over time so i gutted it. when i did my o-rings for the turbo i put on a wicked wheel, high flow outlet flange (to gut the EBPV), non- ebpv pedistal, and bought the donuts to do the up pipes. i should have done them because now they are leaking a little bit. (figures).

#4 ·
Thanks its an early 99 so i dont have to worry about surge as for the ebpv ill prolly just leave it it idles alot in the winter i know its not neccesary but i like it on there. Planning on doing up pipe boots as well while i am at it. thanks for the help with the turbo. Anything under the valve covers?

#5 ·
how does it start in the cold weather? if its good i wouldnt spend the money you dont have to.

#6 ·
It starts fine but it has a 170000 on it. I just figured i got half the bs out of the way with taking the turbo off i might as well take the valve covers off too but maybe ill just leave well enough alone.

#7 ·
you could always have someone test them at ford. i dont know if you have a connection down at the ford dealer but they have a computer that can check the resistance on all of the plugs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.