Trans. Fluid Mixed w/ Diesel Fuel????? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2009, 07:03 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Trans. Fluid Mixed w/ Diesel Fuel?????

I just bought my first diesel and was told by the guy i bought it from that a secret trick to make a diesel last forever was to mix a quart of transmission fluid in with the diesel gas every 2nd fill up. Is this true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2009, 07:08 PM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Welcome to the ORG!

I have never heard that one before!
Old 04-25-2009, 08:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Don't know about making it last forever but I have heard that it burns hotter than diesel and it helps clean injectors I fill the fuel filter with it when I change it
Old 04-25-2009, 08:09 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

sounds bad. people have made their trucks last forever without that, so why risk it?
Old 04-25-2009, 08:13 PM
Premium Member

Trans fluid has alot of detergents in it which is said to clean injectors, and its an old school diesel thing. In 7.3 and 6.0 I dont think it will hurt anything. I would caution doing it on a 6.4 if it would have some adverse affect with the DPF.

I cant say its going to make it last forever, I dont see it hurting anything though. People run their PSDs on used motor oil, trans fluid, I myself run on Veggie. If its dewatered, and filtered, with a flash point of roughly 250-500deg it will burn in a diesel.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:47 PM

Like afblue said transmission fluid is like 90% detergents so it will help clean the injectors. My diesel instructor swore by a quart to a full tank, and then also filling the fuel filter bowl half full of trans fluid at filter change... His 12v dodge has like 300k on stock injectors and pump...might be something too it or could be the fact that he drives it like an old man.
Old 04-26-2009, 12:43 AM

I was on a camping trip last Sept. at some music festival and my original motorcraft batteries finally gave up the ghost. The dude camping about 20 yards from me heard my solenoid clicking, fired up his rig, and came over to jump me. In the process of hooking up a set of cables from his 2 batteries to my 2, my jump box, and then letting it charge for close to 25 minutes, AND 4 failed attempts to start, before I finally fired it up, (sorry, reliving a nightmare LOL) I got to talking to him about diesels in general. He had a '96 Powerstroke and has been running it on straight used ATF for around 30K miles with no problems. Basically, he has a deal with a local shop where he goes and pumps their used ATF out into his own containers through a filter, takes it home, and filters it through a much finer filter before it goes into the truck. I think he's more of a backyard mechanic than anything else, but he told me it's probably not the best idea for my 2000. So, I guess you OBS guys are in luck...
Old 04-26-2009, 08:05 AM
Premium Member

There was an article in Diesel Power Mag a few months ago about it, someone running ATF in a 7.3 Excursion. OBS are almost like 12v Cummins, they will run on Bull Piss, because the injectors are not ramming large amounts of fuel in stock form, larger sticks you may see some issues, and its basically the viscosity of it. Veggie has the greatest loss of viscosity from heat, at 160F its within 95% of #2. ATF is next, but doesnt drop off quite as much as veggie, and UMO is last.

Verdict, do it if it makes you feel good. 1 qt to 30gals is 120:1. You mix 2stroke gas more than that.

Oh and people also use 2 stroke "ashless" oil in the fuel for lube properties.

Typically the cheaper the better for ATF or 2 stroke oil. the expensive ones have more additives that are made to resist heat, when in the end, you really want it to actually burn.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:37 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Jerryjust
What Is Right?????

I'm a Newbie here, and need some help. Replaced 8 injectors and read here that 7 are AD and 1 is AE or AP,for #8.Is that right or not, any help?

jerryjust

2001 F350 Super Duty Crewcab.
89000 miles. 7.3L 4x4 Auto.
Old 04-26-2009, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerryjust View Post
I'm a Newbie here, and need some help. Replaced 8 injectors and read here that 7 are AD and 1 is AE or AP,for #8.Is that right or not, any help?

jerryjust

2001 F350 Super Duty Crewcab.
89000 miles. 7.3L 4x4 Auto.
lol random
not sure about the injectors at ALL
but what i do know, you'll get a lot of helpful help if you go to the forum link at the top of the page and scroll down till you find the right place to ask that question
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.