Originally Posted by 12ga diesel
As I had stated in my Intro post, I am looking at a '05 F-350 6.0L and a '02 F-250 7.3L and I have some questions about the '02.
If I get it, I would be using it for both work and for pleasure. Pleasure being towing our camper and road trips in it. For work I can drive up to 200 miles a day,and easily 1000 miles a week, so I am looking at anything I can do to boost reliability. I'm not really looking to make monster HP/TQ, but a little bump in it I'm not against.
My main things I am looking for answers are:
1. What is real world MPG for this engine? Mainly Highway empty or light load and highway towing.
2. Do the head studs and head gaskets need to be replaced/upgraded like they do on the 6.0L?
3.How reliable is the trans behind it? And is it a 4 speed or 5 speed auto?
Thanks guys for all of the responses.
Sounds like a 7.3 would fit you. To anwser your questions:
1. In my 02 I see 13-15 city driving and on the freeway I see anywere from 16-17 and I'm driving anywere from 75-80 MPH. When I go 65 MPH I see 18-19. Towing 10K lbs. I get probably 13-14 but I'm not sure as I haven't gone threw a full tank of towing yet.
2. Don't worry about HG's on the 7.3. The 7.3 has 18 head bolts per head as were the 6.0 has 10. Plus if you look at the sigs there's more studded 6.0's than 7.3's.
3. Its a 4 speed. The trans behind it is arguable. Some say junk and some say other wise. Personally I think it's a good trans and all you it needs is a bigger cooler and not to drive it like crazy. We have 4 7.3's and 1 tranny made it to 170K miles before it blew a seal backing up a 8K trailer up a steep driveway. Other truck has 170K and still feels new (moms truck). Both our 02's have 50K miles on them and feel good and they are towing rigs.