Need some 7.3 info - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2009, 07:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need some 7.3 info

As I had stated in my Intro post, I am looking at a '05 F-350 6.0L and a '02 F-250 7.3L and I have some questions about the '02.

If I get it, I would be using it for both work and for pleasure. Pleasure being towing our camper and road trips in it. For work I can drive up to 200 miles a day,and easily 1000 miles a week, so I am looking at anything I can do to boost reliability. I'm not really looking to make monster HP/TQ, but a little bump in it I'm not against.

My main things I am looking for answers are:
1. What is real world MPG for this engine? Mainly Highway empty or light load and highway towing.
2. Do the head studs and head gaskets need to be replaced/upgraded like they do on the 6.0L?
3.How reliable is the trans behind it? And is it a 4 speed or 5 speed auto?

Thanks guys for all of the responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2009, 09:13 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Well 12ga. from what i know my 7.3 is a real work horse the biggest weakness is the trans. But a good VB and TC is all u need if u do not that much power,and it is a 4 speed. As the 6.0 my dad had it was a 03 too he did a a lot of towing and blow a head gasket so head studs are a must. My 7.3 gives me 16-18 empty and 13-15 loaded. My dads gave him about the same but with no tuner mine dose have a chip. Hope this helps
Old 04-18-2009, 10:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What are the HP and TQ numbers for a '02 7.3L? I wouldn't mind beefing up the trans to make it as bulletproof as the engine. If I were to get a tuner for this truck, what would be something I should look for to make a moderate gain in HP and TQ?
Old 04-18-2009, 11:40 PM
Banned

I am getting 14MPG will just driving around the property and not allot of road miles.

So probably realistically 18-20MPG
Old 04-19-2009, 10:47 AM

This is when i got my truck about 2 weeks out the dealer. Hope this helps u.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:51 AM

I would get a DP or TW or PHP chip.And with a bulletproof trans. that is all u need!!!!!
Old 04-19-2009, 10:54 AM
Emergency Services

i would install an exhaust or do a cat/muff delete, install a tw chip and gauges, and a cold air intake, or a napa diy intake. i can get about 20 highway empty mpg. and they were correct earlier the tranny is the weakest link. the mods listed will give you more efficiency, more power, and acually better fuel milage. keep a spare cps, and fuel filter with you too.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:58 AM

All that to
Old 04-19-2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ga diesel View Post
As I had stated in my Intro post, I am looking at a '05 F-350 6.0L and a '02 F-250 7.3L and I have some questions about the '02.

If I get it, I would be using it for both work and for pleasure. Pleasure being towing our camper and road trips in it. For work I can drive up to 200 miles a day,and easily 1000 miles a week, so I am looking at anything I can do to boost reliability. I'm not really looking to make monster HP/TQ, but a little bump in it I'm not against.

My main things I am looking for answers are:
1. What is real world MPG for this engine? Mainly Highway empty or light load and highway towing.
2. Do the head studs and head gaskets need to be replaced/upgraded like they do on the 6.0L?
3.How reliable is the trans behind it? And is it a 4 speed or 5 speed auto?

Thanks guys for all of the responses.

Sounds like a 7.3 would fit you. To anwser your questions:
1. In my 02 I see 13-15 city driving and on the freeway I see anywere from 16-17 and I'm driving anywere from 75-80 MPH. When I go 65 MPH I see 18-19. Towing 10K lbs. I get probably 13-14 but I'm not sure as I haven't gone threw a full tank of towing yet.
2. Don't worry about HG's on the 7.3. The 7.3 has 18 head bolts per head as were the 6.0 has 10. Plus if you look at the sigs there's more studded 6.0's than 7.3's.
3. Its a 4 speed. The trans behind it is arguable. Some say junk and some say other wise. Personally I think it's a good trans and all you it needs is a bigger cooler and not to drive it like crazy. We have 4 7.3's and 1 tranny made it to 170K miles before it blew a seal backing up a 8K trailer up a steep driveway. Other truck has 170K and still feels new (moms truck). Both our 02's have 50K miles on them and feel good and they are towing rigs.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:19 AM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
The 7.3 is a good truck. The 4r100 is a 4 speed auto. Not junk but not the best. HP from the factory on the 7.3 is 250 at the crank 525tq. A good chip intake and exhaust will put you at roughly the 300 rwhp mark.

If the trans is in decent shape a valve body and aftermarket converter would be excellent additions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.