Two questions-One tire related one power steering? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2009, 11:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Two questions-One tire related one power steering?

Hey guys. My first Ford diesel truck just arrived and I have a couple issues. Keep in mind that I'm not mechanically inclined, so I will get lost in technical answers that get complex. Just need some direction. will likely take it in to a shop this week, but would like to have some ideas first, so I don't get screwed. My regular shop does not really do much for trucks, diesels, 4x4 and had no real recommendation in the area (fairly small town).

Truck- 2001 CCLB 4x4 (not a dually)

1- The truck has a 6" lift and the original owner (who traded it) had put on Nitto 325/70/17s. They rub (especially the driver's front) when turning hard to the left...(Not sure why one side seems to rub more than the other?). I love the way the truck looks, but the rubbing will drive me crazy. Is there something easy to do that will help without going back to a smaller tire (e.g. spacers, etc.)?

2- When the truck is sitting still, it is essentially impossible to turn the wheels at all. Once you start moving a little it improves almost immediately. It is like there is no power steering at all when stopped. I tried putting the truck in park and running up the RPMs a little to seed if that changed anything, but nothing. I know this can't be normal. Also noticed when slowing down to turn into a parking spot it was also very hard...again, like the power steering was nowhere to be seen. Checked the fluid and it is full.

Thanks for the input on what to look for/have checked

Last edited by phdpsy; 04-18-2009 at 11:51 AM. Reason: added information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2009, 03:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Good question... I'll give ya a little insight... But I also have a simular problem with my own truck.

Part of your problem is the ammount of contact the tires have with the ground, createing friction, much more than a stock size tire would have. When you start to move, the tire rolls, and allows the friction to be less, and then you can steer the wheel. It's easier to steer a tire in motion than one sitting still. Smaller tire = smaller contact area = less friction = less effort to steer. So, long story short, a lifted, big tired truck is gonna be alot tuffer to steer when sitting still than the same truck with stock tires.

However.... I also have a simular problem with my truck, and it's got stock tires. My guess is that the power steering pump isn't up to the job, and/or the steering gear box is not working properly. I hope someone with more knolage will chime in and enlighten us both on this issue...

As to the rubbing, what are the tires hitting? I think hitting the leaf springs is common, and aside from the annoyance, I don't think it will cause any real damage. I've run mud trucks like that for years, no harm. Just keeps the paint worn off in one spot!

Good luck with your new ride! Welcome to the brotherhood of diesel!
Old 04-18-2009, 05:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I agree that a larger contact patch would make a difference, but I can't imagine that it should make it impossible to turn the wheel. While I've minimal experience with large 4x4s, I see many many trucks around here with lifts and significantly larger than stock tires. I watched them manuever in busy Wal-Mart parking lots without apparent concerns or challenges (I'd say 40-50% were women as well). I drove a few similar 4x4s here at local lots before finding this one out of town. While they had some additional resistance, none felt like this. If this was the norm, then I would guess almost no-one would make such modifications
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.