Need help on 7.3 --- - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2009, 04:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need help on 7.3 ---

I did it ....sold my 5.9L dodge ... loved the motor couldn't stand what it was wrapped in. I need more room and still need to be able to pull my 10,000 lb Toy Hauler. I was thinking about an 7.3L Excursion.. Can you guys tell me things to watch out for, common problems, and likes and dis-likes, best year to buy and so on. So far I have owned a 2006 F-250 and my 2007 5.9L Dodge. I liked the power of the 6.0, but it had a slow turbo spool. I liked the fast spool on the dodge, but didn't like the interior, and didn't trust the tranny. So with those things in mind please tell me what you know about the Excursion..
PS> I have 4 kids
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2009, 04:33 PM
Serving Our Country!

AN X WOULD BE THE WAY TO GO ON THAT ONE
Old 04-15-2009, 04:34 PM
Serving Our Country!

7.3 cant tell you the performance specs but I love mine and its a very reliable engine
Old 04-15-2009, 04:40 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

What is an "X"
Old 04-15-2009, 04:41 PM
Serving Our Country!

An Excursion
Old 04-15-2009, 04:43 PM
Serving Our Country!

You could always put a cummins in your Ford???? Just a suggestion some people do it accually Ive seen multiple Cummins Powered Fords on Ebay
Old 04-16-2009, 06:12 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Best year to buy ? Known problems ?
Old 04-16-2009, 06:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

best year for the 7.3's? the 99.5 models and up. that's when they started putting forged rods and bigger HPOPs in them.
only problems in mine was a bracket wore a small hole in a fuel line from the filter bowl to the back of the passenger side head and i have an O ring leaking at the bottom of the water pump. other than that, i have had no problems.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:21 AM

I think they are good as gold, my dad bought one for my mom. I think she has around 130,000 on it(give or take). Of course it is their family vehicle and her daily driver, no mods, only Superchip programmer I believe. They love it. He says he is never getting rid of it.

Its an 02. I think it has been in the shop only 2 times. One for a recall on the Cam sensor, and the other was recently for an oil leak. Other than that, treated them very well.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:24 AM

Any of the 7.3's are a pretty safe bet, depending on how much power you want to squeeze out of it. Some of the 01's and all the 02's and 03's have PMR's (powdered metal rods) which aren't as strong as the forged rods used in prior model years. PMR's are generally safe up to 400hp, forged are good for a bit more but even forged rod motors have let go at around 400hp. It takes a bit more coin to get bigger power from a 7.3 compared to the 6.0 or Cummins. Auto trannies are the weak link in the 7.3's by far. You can do things like an upgraded TC and internal mods (either a kit like the Transgo Tugger or a valve body from BTS, John Wood, or Factory Tech) to get more durability out of a stocker, but once it pukes most guys drop the big bux on either a John Wood or BTS trans. Brian at BTS will tell you to do everything you can to break it, and if you do he'll fix it.
If you really like the Cummins motor, and since you are used to it, you might consider a "Fummins" (Ford rig with a Cummins stuffed under the hood). A few have gone that route and seem very happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.