Looking at a 99 f350 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2009, 09:25 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Looking at a 99 f350

Alrighty fellas, Im looking at a 99 F350 and I am wondering some of the highpoints and low points I need to check on this dog. It has the PSD with the Auto and its 4 wheel drive. Where specifically should i check and what should I do during the test drive to test this thing out the right way. Let me know what your thoughts are. O, the truck already has 250K on it. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2009, 09:43 PM
Serving Our Country!

Its good for at least another 100k my buddy in az has 370k on his and only have had to change little things on it nothing big like injectors or anything but how much he asking accually dont put that up there Hunter might steal it from you (Giving you some chit Hunter LMAO)

Last edited by PWRSTROKETHIS; 04-09-2009 at 05:55 AM.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:11 PM

He is asking 7 for it.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:25 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feel the tires for uneven wear, this will tell if it needs ball joints or not. Get under and look for any oil where the rear main would be. If there is oil dripping then get up on top and check in the valley of the motor. If it is towards the front of the engine, good chance it is the HPOP leaking. If it is towards the rear, then good chance its the turbo o rings. Both can be fixed without much difficulty. Drive the truck, feel how the tran shifts. Look for any signs that the truck was previously chipped (the truck still may be fine) pyro thermocouplers, tranny, etc. There is a good amount. Bring a friend becuase he may know more then you do. All of these problems can be fixed, you just dont wanna spend 7 grand on a truck and realize the tran is done. Good luck
Old 04-09-2009, 05:54 AM
Serving Our Country!

I would make a lower offer on the truck and work your way up on it 7000 is alot of money for a truck with 250000 (GOOD THING ITS A 7.3) but I would start at 5500 or 6000 depending on the mechanical condition of the truck. Not saying its worth 7 just work a deal on it the guy I bought my 2002 they wanted 21000 got it for 16500 out the door. Mine just rolled over to 100000 miles on it so even if its fair priced for what KBB is saying the economy isnt supporting Truck owners like us anymore. Its a great negotiating factor now even the dealerships relize that we (the buyer) have a one up on them because of that. GOOD LUCK
Old 04-09-2009, 08:59 AM

Yeah, its a contractors truck. I looked at the outside of it last night on the way home from work and it looks clean. crawled under neath and its got a deep trans pan and the engine is spotless. Not degreaser spotless but its clean. It has pulled trailers, its got a a gooseneck hook up and trailer brake comand in the cab. Im thinking 5500 for the exact reason of what powerstrokethis is talking about, with the market, the ball is in our court.
Old 04-09-2009, 09:22 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to ford_trck
Good luck with the deal see if it had a flip chip in it or not look down by the parking brake pedal and look at the ECU box. If there was a flip chip in it the back part of the box will be cut out. Also look on the exhaust manifolds underneath and see if there are any holes or a pyro in one that means there was a pyro in it at sometime. Ask if the trans has been rebuild or a reman installed with the high mileage it is probably getting down on it's life. Bring a 5/16 socket with you and take of the intake boot at the turbo and look at the turbo. Make sure there isn't niches or damage to the compressor wheel on the turbo. Thats all I can think of for now. Either way for the price it sounds like you could have a great truck either way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.