Front end needs work - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2009, 06:04 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation Front end needs work

If your truck had almost 200,000 miles what would you replace on the front end? Front end on the truck has never been through other than NEEDED things (fix when they break). My steering wheel has a few inches of play in it, my left front wheel is toed out a tad bit. I dont have the money to replace every nut and bolt. Just need to know what some of yall would do to a front end on limited funds? Tie rods, bushings, bearings? Forgive my stupidity i know NOTHING about front ends.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2009, 06:23 PM

Front end work

Personally if I were you I would be willing bet that pretty much both of lower joints are shot. Bottoms wear faster than top ones,but I would still replace all
4 with MOOG greaseable units.You can do it yourself with the loan a tool program thru most O'Reillys/AutoZone stores now. Its a little bit of work but you can do it at home with some effort. Once you get it done locate a good front end alignment shop to have it aligned. I have always found my leaf spring trucks and now my coil spring F-350 4wds like to have a slight toe in.And if you only have some some steering wheel play, I bet that you probably don't need any alignment cams either.If you find a tie rod end loose or the grease seal is exploded just get a pickle fork and count your twists and when you reinstall it with new just count your turns and should be close enough to get to a alignment shop for proper alignment.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:28 PM
Addicted to Diesel

Send a message via AIM to cowboyupamrka Send a message via Yahoo to cowboyupamrka
sweet thanks for the advice. i am in the same position as OP. looked into replacing uppr and lower joints a while ago but never did. any thoughts on where to purchase them. i thought i had seen them on ebay before, but haven't looked much lately.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:23 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

I wouldn't replace a thing unless I knew it was bad!!! I would do a proper inspection and replace/repair as needed.

NCH
Old 04-09-2009, 05:08 AM
Serving Our Country!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
I wouldn't replace a thing unless I knew it was bad!!! I would do a proper inspection and replace/repair as needed.

NCH
Its better to replace it before it breaks and it leaves you stranded on the side of the road (not saying it will) I was all ways taught if your taking your truck apart for a couple of day you mite as well replace as much as you can it pervents major maintance in the future. Allinments are important with the cost to put tires on these things even if its only stock sizes imagine what it would cost for some of these guys with the 20 inch rims and 37 and 40s on there trucks. They are also important due to the fact the alinement is what keeps you going strait down the road and if you have to swerve could cause you to get in an wreck (rather spend the money to fix the thing right then spend the money on the Deductable)
Old 04-09-2009, 05:39 AM

I would locate my nearest O'Reillys and I am sure other stores as well carry MOOG. I personally fell they are the way to go and plus they are greaseable and not a sealed unit like factory pieces.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I'm pushing 200k as well. I just replaced my tierod system from knuckle to knuckle. It was easy to do relatively speaking (I now hate pickle forks). I have the twin I beam setup on mine and the bushings on the I beams need to be replaced as that's causing an annoying clunking. Other than that I have no issues with mine. When I feel the ball joints going I will go with the MOOG's but until then I'll leave them on there. As a side note, I also replaced my driveshaft carrier bearing, I had a local big rig shop press off the old and press on the new one for $10. Worth the savings in my time personally.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:28 AM

Lower and upper joints will be looked at Any fixes for the left wheel being toed out and steering wheel play? Any other parts that should be looked into? Thanks
Old 04-09-2009, 08:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The tie rods are where you will adjust your toe in, if I'm not mistaken. They are adjustable by turning a sleeve, once you loosen the two bolts on it. It's something an alignment shop will do. As for the steering wheel play, it could be worn tierods, slop in the steering shaft joints or even the steering box itself. I don't think I can be much help on the slop. I'll be watching for an answer though.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooney77 View Post
The tie rods are where you will adjust your toe in, if I'm not mistaken. They are adjustable by turning a sleeve, once you loosen the two bolts on it. It's something an alignment shop will do. As for the steering wheel play, it could be worn tierods, slop in the steering shaft joints or even the steering box itself. I don't think I can be much help on the slop. I'll be watching for an answer though.
Thanks for the help Truck has dern close to 200k on the clock and the only front end work that has ever been done was new bearings or something on the left front (cant remember what previous owner said) so i know my front end is needing some attention, i just didnt know where to start.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.