New to PSD and already loving it, but have a million questons! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2009, 11:35 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to PSD and already loving it, but have a million questons!

Howdy all, I just got my first 7.3l PSD, 2001 Crew Cab Lariat 4X4! The truck currently has a AFE intake, and an EDGE programmer. I will be changing to a DP or TW chip, as soon as I can decide which one. What else do you guys do for "basic" bolt-ons? Like what exhaust is recommended? I am not out to win drag races, but I do want to surprise a few of the imports out there, or at least blip some smoke in their face if they piss me off, and of course the best mpg as possible (I know it is a big truck).

Some things on the truck have been told to me, but I have not been able to verify, hopefully some of you will know:
1. I have the towing pkg, so I have a 2" lift already?
2. The truck has a "thud" from the front when going over bumps. Someone told me that this is because they use the same shock mounting as the gas trucks and with the diesel they wear out. Is this true, and what do I need to replace to fix it.
3. The '08 Superduty Tailgate will bolt right on?

Some other questions I had were:
1. What is a good additional 2" lift/Leveling kit (if my truck already has a factory 2" lift...see above question)
2. What (if any) gauges should I add? If I added Stg I turbo from Turbocharges.com, Exhaust/Intake with a chip.
3. What is a good shock upgrade, for ride comfort?
4. Who are the most popular websites for parts and upgrades? There are a lot of vendors here....who do you like and why?

Sorry for bombarding you will all my noob questions, I am just excited about my new truck, and I have to tinker with whatever vehicle I own!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2009, 11:46 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Welcome! You got a good truck there...

You asked about gauges to add... Trans temp (if it's auto) EGT, and Boost.

My truck is basic, I did the DIY intake filter, but you got the AFE, so you're set there, they are good from what I've read on this site, but something as simple as straight pipe the exhaust is cheap and effective on that end, I did it and am very pleased. Not really loud, but opens the exhaust nicely.
DP tuner works for me, TW is compairable.

I'm sure others will chime in with more on your other questions, good luck with your new ride!
Old 04-06-2009, 11:47 AM

well WELCOME. you're gonna love this place if you love to tinker lol

the "thud" you're talking about happened on my mom's '98 explorer. it was some bar. either the sway control or . . . something. i don't remember. don't know on these trucks.

for exhaust, i had the stock muffler cut out and added a Walker BTM (Big Truck Muffler). i don't have gauges so i can't say how it helped with egt's or anything. i can say it's just a bit louder at idle, can get loud on WOT, the turbo whistles a lot, and i think it spools up faster. just a little bit more noise in cab.

gauges: i'm gonna put in the common three. transmission temp, egt, and boost.

for shocks, i wanna know too lol

just another thing to think about, you might wanna add a valve body in your transmission. i know i want to because it's an old one and i'm sure could use it
Old 04-08-2009, 04:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I saw that Prothane makes a lot of bushings for our trucks. Do you guys reccomend changing the front suspension pieces? I know with my car it is not recommended if you want any ride comfort.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:15 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to southern7.3
To answer your question about the 08 tailgate I dont think they will bolt right on but im not sure. I thought I read that something needed to be modded but don't hold me to it
Old 04-08-2009, 04:18 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Send a message via AIM to southern7.3
O and check out raul for gauges and gus at farmboys diesel for an exhaust. But to tell you the truth other than lowering exhaust temps if you just straight pipe your stock exhaust you will probably be fine

You wont go wrong the DP or TW tunes

And for gas mileage goes the biggest thing is keep your foot out of it and rpms under 2grand
Old 04-10-2009, 11:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

So I found out some of the questions:
I just have the std. 4x4 lift
The 08 tailgate will fit, just have to get the 08 hinges also

I would still like everyone's opinion on
The "thud" sound
A good addtl 2" lift/level kit
A good, comfort oriented, shock upgrade
Old 04-11-2009, 03:48 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locutus78 View Post
Howdy all, I just got my first 7.3l PSD, 2001 Crew Cab Lariat 4X4! The truck currently has a AFE intake, and an EDGE programmer. I will be changing to a DP or TW chip, as soon as I can decide which one.
Flip a coin, I went with Jody, but he was a lot closer then

What else do you guys do for "basic" bolt-ons? Like what exhaust is recommended?
Contrary to the majority, your stock exhaust is fine, the restriction is in the factory muffler that necks down a 3.5" exhaust to 2.5" Just replace this with a BTM and you will be fine for what you are going to do to the truck. Look at what I run, I have proven with testing there is less than a 50 degree difference between a stock system with BTM and a full 4" system no muffler, I say 50 to give some cushion, mpost runs were within 25 degrees.

I am not out to win drag races, but I do want to surprise a few of the imports out there, or at least blip some smoke in their face if they piss me off, and of course the best mpg as possible (I know it is a big truck).

I got 17.4 in a 1 ton 4x4 dually CC LB with 4:10's, but that was really nursing it.

Some things on the truck have been told to me, but I have not been able to verify, hopefully some of you will know:
1. I have the towing pkg, so I have a 2" lift already? False no 2" lift due to towing pkg!!
2. The truck has a "thud" from the front when going over bumps. Someone told me that this is because they use the same shock mounting as the gas trucks and with the diesel they wear out. Is this true, and what do I need to replace to fix it.
There should be no thud!! Sounds like BJ's or wheel bearings, time to jack it up and do some testing.

3. The '08 Superduty Tailgate will bolt right on?

I thought you had to change a bracket or something, whatever it is it isn't much

Some other questions I had were:
1. What is a good additional 2" lift/Leveling kit (if my truck already has a factory 2" lift...see above question) You have no lift, if you want a leveling kit the DR spring pack is the best, make sure you get the adjustable trac bar or relocation bracket, better yet both!!

2. What (if any) gauges should I add? If I added Stg I turbo from Turbocharges.com, Exhaust/Intake with a chip.
You need Boost, trans and Pyro, PM me for the best pricing anywhere on the Isspro EV gauges, Isspro is the only brand I recommend.

3. What is a good shock upgrade, for ride comfort?
Don't fall for all the bling bling in shocks. I have done the Rancho's, Bils, KYB's and all of them road way to rough!! The best shock I have used is the Monroe Reflex, half the price without the bling factor plus lifetime warranty.

4. Who are the most popular websites for parts and upgrades? There are a lot of vendors here....who do you like and why?
First learn a little, then do the research, there is no one place that has the best pricing on everything.

Sorry for bombarding you will all my noob questions, I am just excited about my new truck, and I have to tinker with whatever vehicle I own!
Not sure how much research you did before buying your truck, but are you aware of the mech diode in the 2001? I would look for a tag on the trans that says it has been replaced. You didn't say how many miles were on the truck, but most of the 01 trans didn't make it past the 100K mark. If it is still the stock trans you may want to start saving some coinage. When it locks in first and/or sec you know what it is. There is no fixing this problem, a total rebuild is needed. I don't mean to worry you. I wouldn't be running that edge without gauges. I probably wouldn't have bought a truck that ran a tuner without gauges, but that's water under the bridge now. Before I spent any money at all on mods I would change ALL the Fluids and filters in the truck, including brake fluid. If you have any ? just PM me
NCH
Old 04-11-2009, 03:59 AM

What the Hornet said ...
I only had 30 k on mine and I changed ever fluid I could find on my 06 buts thats me ...
Old 04-11-2009, 04:04 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHornet View Post
...but are you aware of the mech diode in the 2001? I would look for a tag on the trans that says it has been replaced. ...
Hi Hornet...was going to PM you but figured the answer to my question may be good for everyone to see...

What is this Mech Diode thing and why does it need replacement?

I recently got an all stock 01 f350 automatic w/117k on it now. -Trans seems fine but, after what you said, i'm keeping my fingers crossed, ears open, and checkbook at the ready...

EDITED:

forget it....found this:
2001 Mech. Diode ??? - Diesel Forum - The Diesel Stop.com

Last edited by daveyburt; 04-11-2009 at 04:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.