2003 F-350 7.3l - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2009, 11:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2003 F-350 7.3l

Tell me all about the 03 7.3l! I am currently looking for a truck that will prvide for my needs. Looking for something with power, good MPG, Good towing power and just an all around reliable truck.

I found a 2003 7.3l with under 80k miles. How good are the the transmissions in these trucks? How good is the engine. Ive always heard of 7.3l lasting a long time with proper maint. Is there anything i have to worry about. What should i look at when i go and test drive. It has a 2" lift and guages and exhaust but other then that it stock.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2009, 11:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to Cory S
what are your plans for the truck? how much power do you plan to throw down with it?
Old 04-03-2009, 11:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

not a lot...just a little more to give it better MPG and pep. Like a tuner or something. Does the SCT work for these 7.3l?
Old 04-03-2009, 12:10 PM

yeah you can get some custom tunes on the sct for the 7.3. i like it cause i can try everyones tunes till i find the best
Old 04-03-2009, 12:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

well thats good to know. What kind of mileage can i expect. The tires are 285s i think. What kind of power and torque numbers do these things put out stock?
Old 04-03-2009, 12:51 PM

I've got an 03 7.3. So far 165k with no major issues. The transmission is the weak link, had mine rebuilt twice. Just dont run and Edge programmer and you'll be fine. Also get the rearend rebuilt before your warranty is up. Mine went out at 90k and the dealer said there was a recall on those for some reason. Other than that, nothing out of the usual for wear and tear. I'd go for it, great year model.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:55 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

umm the warranty would be up..its on 5 year...and its 2009.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman79 View Post
Tell me all about the 03 7.3l! I am currently looking for a truck that will prvide for my needs. Looking for something with power, good MPG, Good towing power and just an all around reliable truck.

I found a 2003 7.3l with under 80k miles. How good are the the transmissions in these trucks? How good is the engine. Ive always heard of 7.3l lasting a long time with proper maint. Is there anything i have to worry about. What should i look at when i go and test drive. It has a 2" lift and guages and exhaust but other then that it stock.
SNOWMAN! Just messin with you, so did you get away from the 5.9 and the 6.0?

7.3 is good strong engine. Not fast tho. Just strong and reliable IMO.

My experience with my 7.3L. I bought my 7.3 late in 01. It is an 02 model. She has 73 or 75k now, only had it in the shop for warranty work 1 time in 6+ years. Alternator(I think my stereo system helped the early death of the alternator). Other than that, no issues. (Oh, I think they did the CAM sensor or something like that since it was already there, CAM sensor was a recall item).

As far tranny and rear end, I personally have never had any issues, but I also do not tow a lot. The lift and tires keep a little strain on both I'm sure, but not like a several thousand pound trailer will.

Last edited by BigKid; 04-03-2009 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

well im still in the running for a dodge. I really like the 6.0l but hate how expensive it is for parts etc if you are out of warranty where as its a little cheaper for the 7.3l and the 5.9l. I mean im sure if i get a 6.0 it will do everything i want and more but i just want some more peace of mind i guess. Im very unsure of the motor i guess.
Old 04-04-2009, 08:32 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I talked to a buddy of mine and says that the 7.3l are real dogs. Good motors, workhorse but are slower then molasses. Is this true? Ive never driven a 7.3l in a pick-up. I have in a F-450 DUmper truck but its a given that it would be slow as its geared for loads and towing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.