Join Date: Feb 2007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
This is from the tech files. I just did mine and you wont believe how easy it is. How to replace the injector o-rings on your 7.3l powerstroke engine.
CAUTION: BE SURE TO READ AND FULLY UNDERSTAND THE FOLLOWING INSTRUCTIONS, FAILURE TO DO SO CAN RESULT IN SERIOUS ENGINE DAMAGE!!!
WARNING: DO NOT REMOVE THE PCV ASSEMBLY FROM THE LEFT SIDE VALVE COVER, IT ONLY GETS IN THE WAY OF 1 BOLT AND CAN BE ACCESSED WITH A RATCHET WRENCH.
1. Fuel injector o-ring kits (1 per injector as needed)
2. Valve cover gaskets (if leaking or connector is bad)
1. ratchet, sockets and extensions (metric)
2. small prybar
3. metric 6mm allen wrench and SAE 1/8" allen wrench
4. Metric 13mm ratchet wrench
5. Torque Wrench (must read in/lbs NOT ft/lbs)
1. Unplug injector/glow plug harness from the valve cover gasket (4 total on the 94.5-97 and 2 total on the 99-03's)
2. Remove Cac tubes and the valve covers
3. Unplug the injector/glow plug harness from the inside of the valve cover gasket (4 total on the 94.5-97 and 2 total on the 99-03's)
4. Remove the Valve cover gasket
5. On the top of the head you will find 4, 1/8" allen head plugs (2 on each head.), you need to remove these to drain the oil out of the oil rail and prevent it from running down into the combustion chamber when the injector is removed. Let sit for about an hour before doing anything else (good time to get a bite to eat)
6. Remove the oil deflector from the injector hold down
7. Remove the lower injector retaining bolt
8. Slide the hold down over the upper injector retaining bolt
9. CAREFULLY pry up on the injector (parallel with head surface)
10. Make sure the copper washer on the tip of the injector comes out with the injector. If it doesnt it needs to be fished out of the head.
11. Replace all o-rings and be sure to get all o-rings and spacers back in place
12. Soak injector in a pan of fresh oil for aprox. 5 min.
13. Using HAND pressure push the injector back into the injector bore (make sure injectors go back into the same cylinder they came out of, particularly #8) If needed for final seating of the injector a small rubber mallot can be used but do not apply a ton of force.
14. Torque lower injector bolt to 120in/lbs
Repeat steps 1-14 for all injectors
CAUTION—If you think more than about a teaspoon of oil drained into the cylinder remove the glow plugs and turn the motor over until all oil is purged from the cylinder. FAILURE TO DO SO WILL RESULT IN HYDRO-LOCKING THE MOTOR AND SERIOUS DAMAGE WILL OCCUR !!!!
When all injectors are done you want to SLOWLY bump the engine over until 2 complete revolution. IF AT ANY TIME THE MOTOR ACTS LIKE IT WON’T TURN ANYMORE STOP!!!, Repeat oil purging procedure and try again.
early 99 250 Lariat s/c s/b 4x4
4" MBRP turbo back straight w/ 5" tip
3 piller gauges- boost, pyro,trans
TW tuned -
stock, h/idle, econ, L-tow, H-tow, extreme
t/c lock switch
regulated fuel return