coolant problem - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2009, 02:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry coolant problem

I have a 2002 f350 7.3 litre powerstrole diesel. The problem I am having is that the anti-freeze/coolant is building up too much pressure and blowing out the little weep hole right below the cap. The coolant has been flushed and correct amount has been put in. The consistancy when flushed was very bubbly almost like champagne. Any thoughts would be helpful. Suggestions/recalls?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-26-2009, 02:54 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

flush it, then do a half distilled water and half antifreeze mix.. this should bring it back down.. if you live where its gets pretty cold then put a 1/4 water amd 3/4 antifreeze.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

We flushed it and put new in at only about 3/4 to allow for expansion, but it still built up so much pressure that its still blowing out. What might be causing it to built up that much, and have consistancy of champagne? We thought maybe something with the water pump.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I need help please! I'm having weird problems with my coolant. It's over flowing I replaced my T-stat, replaced cap , and now I'm told it has coolant or condensation of top of heads. The mechanic pulled the valve covers off and he said theres heavy condensation on top of the heads. Also, I saw water dripping out of dip stick tube and alot of steam coming out of oil fill when I pulled the oil fill cap. If there is any one that could help me I would greatly appreciate the help. Is it a head gasket thats sh#t to bed or possibly a cracked block?
Old 03-26-2009, 06:22 PM
Premium Member

I would say you both lost head gaskets. Excessive pressure in coolant, and coolant in oil.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:19 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Isn't a blown head gasket on this engine rare? Any thoughts at what type of money I'm looking at to fix if this the problem. I suppose I'm dreaming that there was a recall.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

good luck with the gaskets... im not sure what the 7.3 would cost but i know that a 6.0 is gonna well over 1500 depending on the mechanic. i would make sure that is the problem before tearing the engine apart. btw if water is running over the heads your gonna have white smoke sometimes you have to get on it to see it and other times it will blow at idle.. if it wasa 6.0 i would say EGR is blown.

and that other guy with water in all those places... good luck man id say your gaskets are toast.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:21 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury3298 View Post
I need help please! I'm having weird problems with my coolant. It's over flowing I replaced my T-stat, replaced cap , and now I'm told it has coolant or condensation of top of heads. The mechanic pulled the valve covers off and he said theres heavy condensation on top of the heads. Also, I saw water dripping out of dip stick tube and alot of steam coming out of oil fill when I pulled the oil fill cap. If there is any one that could help me I would greatly appreciate the help. Is it a head gasket thats sh#t to bed or possibly a cracked block?
Check your oil. Does it look like chocolate milk? oil in the coolant bottle? Thats the oil cooler. The oil cooler on the 7.3 will fail before the head gaskets will.

I am sure that the 7.3 will pressurize the coolant bottle if the head gaskets are bad, but I dont know the specs on how it does it.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:43 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

7.3 litre

Can anyone tell me the majoe signs of a blown head gasket? I knowI do not have coolant in my oil, but my oil level is down, and coolant level way up even when cold
Old 03-28-2009, 11:49 AM

yeah that does sound like a head gasket, your symptoms would be reduced compression on one or more cylinders, possible leakage of oil into coolant, coolant into oil, your also gonna be noticing somewhat of a power drop as well. try to find someone who can run a cylinder leakdown test on your truck. not the hardest thing to do, and it will usually give you a very accurate guess as to what your problem is before you start tearing into the engine. with a 7.3 head gaskets aren't the worst thing in the world, wheras if your getting it done on a 6.0 your garunteed at least 2 hours of shop rate just to pull the cab for the procedure. i've never had to have mine done on my 7.3 but i've done headgaskets before. good fun times!! good luck to the both of you!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.