Pics and want advice on my new ride. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2009, 06:39 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Pics and want advice on my new ride.

Just bought a 01 PS 7.3 with 64k miles

It needs some maintenance items like ball joints and tie rod ends, could use tires in the near future. it was built in 05/01, whew, but the engine serial tells me it has powdered rods and not the forged (I think that is what they call them)

Anyways I hear the powdered rods are good for for 400HP. Which should be enough for me.

I am doing searching but since I am showing off my new ride thought I would ask some questions too.

First thing I want is gauges. I am thinking of a Boost gauge and a EGT gauges for starters. Do you prefer electric gauge for boost or the one with the actual air line? I was then going to get a Scan gauge for the rest of the things I need to see.

Now for performance mods. I am not looking for Drag racing performance, or trying to hit wicked levels or HP and torque. But would like something that sounds good and has a nice gain from stock. I still want to keep my rods in the truck lol. I may do a bracket race once a year for fun, but I don't care if I am the fastest, just fun. I really don't want to have to start dumping a ton of money into a transmission.

Next I was going to do air filter, Not sure if I want to do the $40 mod or do a real CAI. Advice is welcome for what I want.

Exhaust - Mainly wanting sound, so do you think a cheaper strait pipe is the way to go? Or spend the bucks for a "real" exhaust.

Then a chip - I do not need anything radical, but would like to blow some smoke here and there and maybe surprise a few little cars lol.

Now for pics....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2009, 07:02 PM

Nice Find man, I have an 02 with that kind of mileage and I love it. I have a 4" MBRP SS exhaust, and i love it, not as rediculous as a straight pipe, but definately has a nice whistle and plenty of rumble, I would recommend nothing else, unless your short on cash, there are some vendors on here that sell some really nice lower buck exhaust systems too! Good luck with it, and be nice to her, and she'll be great to you
Old 03-24-2009, 07:07 PM

i would get intake, exhaust gauges, and then TW or DP chip. if you talk to raul at steath automotive he could get you a deal
Old 03-25-2009, 05:22 AM

Thanks, how worried should I be about not having forged Rods?
Guess that is my only concer about this truck.

I will start searching Youtube for videos. I know its not close to the sound of in real life but should give me a idea of what I want.....
Old 03-25-2009, 05:46 AM
Serving Our Country!

What color is your truck just wondering? I see the pictures but do you know what the color name is? I just bought a 2002 it looks like a bright red but the color says toridor red or something like that? Trying to get a grasp on what my trucks color is (Havent seen it in person because Im in Iraq)
Old 03-25-2009, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRSTROKETHIS View Post
What color is your truck just wondering? I see the pictures but do you know what the color name is? I just bought a 2002 it looks like a bright red but the color says toridor red or something like that? Trying to get a grasp on what my trucks color is (Havent seen it in person because Im in Iraq)

Umm everyone calls it maroon, but its too bright to be maroon and too dark to be red.

I call it Redroon lol. I will have to look at the paper work tonight and verify what its really called.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:41 AM

I think it's called Dark Toreador Red. nice truck btw
Old 03-25-2009, 01:30 PM

nice truck

im in the same boat as you got the same year and want the same out of mine too.
i have been on this site since i got my truck a year ago, and i am goin with Raul he is on the board. here is his site

oh yeah im going with his performance bundle its got everything
Stealth Performance Bundle
Old 03-27-2009, 07:03 AM

I think I am going to make my own strait pipe. If its too loud or I hate it I will put in a muffler. I was also going to do the DIY Intake and a chip of some sort.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:14 AM

Straight pipe is pretty cool. But I prefer the MBRP 5". Its not as loud as the straight pipe until you romp it! Then its a real clean deep sound.

Intake, if financially possible, do the CAI. IMO it sounds better(turbo whistle) and you get better performance.

Sounds like you pretty much have it going on man! Good luck to you. Don't forget to take some install pics to show off the great work.

Last edited by BigKid; 03-27-2009 at 07:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.