Some Q's on Tires/Wheels/Lifts?! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2009, 07:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to Mud-Nut
Some Q's on Tires/Wheels/Lifts?!

Hey guys... I bought my truck used, and the guy wasn't 100% sure what was done to the suspension. After some help from the ORG, we came to the conclusion that it's a 3.5" front drop bracket and a F350 block in the rear, as seen in this thread:

Help Figure Out Leveling Kit?

Anyways... Right now, I 315/75R16 Cooper Discoveries on stock wheels, which measure up to 34.6" x 12.4" brand new!! They're worn down and it's time for some new tires.

My original plan was to get some new 35's.... But I'm thinking I might want to step that up to a 37" tire. More specifically, I'd like to get some Toyo Open Country M/T's. I can't get the 37" x 13.5" in 16" wheel, so that means I'll need new wheels.

What's the backspacing on the stock wheels??? Right now, at full steer, the tires just slightly rub the leaf springs. So, I'm thinking that I'm going to need a little bit less backspacing.

If the backspacing is good, I think I really like the RBP 93R Black (with Chrome inserts) wheels!! Anyone have pics of these wheels on their white Superduty's?

Anyways, back to the main problem.... How much higher do I have to go to nicely fit 37's?? What are my options? I'm trying to do this as cheap as possible, so I can afford to build a front D60 for my mud truck!!!

Sooo... For the front of the Superduty, could I just fab up some longer shackles?? And maybe drop the front bracket another inch or so? And then run a larger block in the rear, and build a ladder bar to reduce axle wrap? What do you guys think?

Here's how my truck sits right now:

Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2009, 07:12 PM
Premium Member

from what I have seen you need a 7+" lift to fit 37s. That cant be done with making long shackles your front driveshaft angle will be way off.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFBLUE View Post
from what I have seen you need a 7+" lift to fit 37s. That cant be done with making long shackles your front driveshaft angle will be way off.
Really??? I'm surprised to hear that, because I can pretty much fit 35's right now with a 3.5" lift.... So, I would have thought a slightly longer shackle and a bit more drop would easily clear 37's???
Old 03-21-2009, 07:25 PM
Premium Member

They would probably "fit" but that doesnt allow for suspension movement, are you just doing it for looks? because I wouldnt shackle for 37s and go offroad with it.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:32 PM

I do some very mild wheeling with the truck.... But this is my DD and tow rig... I have a different truck to play with and break!!!

A 37 isn't much larger than what I have right now.... And right now, I can flex her pretty good without any rubbing (unless it's at FULL steer). I wouldn't skimp out, especially if I was to build any of this stuff myself. I'd make sure to beef it up. The stock shackle is pretty short, and I was think it could easily be an inch longer or so, without any problems.... But that's just my perspective on things (hence the reasoning for posting and looking for input).

What are some other options??? Re-arch my leaf springs? Or buy new 2" lift springs for the front?
Old 03-23-2009, 05:36 PM

Anyone else have some input on this???

What about the stock wheels... What kind of backspacing are they?
Old 03-23-2009, 11:14 PM

I put 37's on my truck. I also put a ProComp 6.5" lift. I dont think the 37's would have come NEAR fitting if it was any lower. In fact, I wish the front was about 1.5-2" taller. If i'm at full lock and go over a curb, you'll hear it. Well... not anymore lol.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:56 AM

Sooo... Essential, I need to go up another 3 inches or so. I should look into a 4" leaf kit for the front, and keep my 3.5" drop brackets?? Can I combine my backets and leaf springs like that? I suppose going up another 3 inches or so would be difficult to do with longer shackles and things like that.

What kind of backspacing do you have on those wheels?
Old 03-24-2009, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud-Nut View Post
Sooo... Essential, I need to go up another 3 inches or so. I should look into a 4" leaf kit for the front, and keep my 3.5" drop brackets?? Can I combine my backets and leaf springs like that? I suppose going up another 3 inches or so would be difficult to do with longer shackles and things like that.

What kind of backspacing do you have on those wheels?
I'm not sure on the backspacing but they came off an 05' truck with coils.

I'm pretty sure all you would need is 4" springs, probably longer shocks and a longer pitman arm. Maybe some work with the drag link bracket as well. And possibly extending brake lines. Don't forget about the driveshaft either.

4" Springs + 3.5" Shackles might be taller than my 6.5" lift and i'm already bout to get a 1 piece drive shaft cause of vibration.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5W0P3 View Post
I'm not sure on the backspacing but they came off an 05' truck with coils.

I'm pretty sure all you would need is 4" springs, probably longer shocks and a longer pitman arm. Maybe some work with the drag link bracket as well. And possibly extending brake lines. Don't forget about the driveshaft either.

4" Springs + 3.5" Shackles might be taller than my 6.5" lift and i'm already bout to get a 1 piece drive shaft cause of vibration.
Why would you be having vibration issues??? Do you drive on the street in 4x4?

This is turning out to be a little more expensive than I thought.... I figured I could lift my truck just a bit more to fit a 37, but apparently I can't. Maybe I'll wait on the 37's, and just sink the money into my other truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.