battery draw - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2009, 06:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
battery draw

so i have had a battery draw for a while now. small draw that wears the batteries down if it sits longer than a week. finally got around to looking for it and it turns out its fuse 15 from the underdash fuse panel. when i remove this fuse the testlight turns off.

5A
Generic Electronic Module (GEM),
Powertrain Control Module (PCM),
Anti-lock Brake System (ABS) Module,
Brake Shift Interlock, Speed Control

so this is what that fuse controls....anyone have this problem and/or any hints on where to go from here?

thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2009, 06:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

oh i should let you guys know that this truck is an early 99, and i did the resistor mod to the idm and swapped the old pcm for a pmt2 pcm.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:52 AM
Dieselis' Maximus

If this started after you did your mods go back and undo them 1 at a time and check for the draw.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

i been chasing the same thing all winter! Same fuse number 15 was causign my draw. Warm weather came and it stopped? I haven't checks with my multi meter but the batteries do not die anymore. Only thing i did do which i read might be a problem was put a ground wire to my pcm. But i have a dp, i heard that the computer are not grounded very well. I did that and cleaned my terminals really good and no problem since.

What kind of draw you getting? i was getting .10 with the 5a fuse in once i pulled it it would drop to .02 which is where its suppose to be.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

this was happening before the mods as well. i didnt check the draw, just removed the ground terminals, put the testlight on the ground and started pulling fuses. how did you ground the pcm, ill try that, ill make a small ground for it underneath the dash. clean the terminals up good and see what happens.

so did you ground from the inside or did you ground fron the screw that holds in the connector?

Last edited by redboost10; 03-22-2009 at 08:48 AM.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

alright so i unplugged the pcm, still has a draw (testlight is still on). so then i mess around with the brake pedal sensor, i unplugged it and it still has a draw, so i plugged it back in and pressed the brake pedal and it got brighter. then let go of the brake pedal and the testlight dimmed. so not the brakes. anything else to check for fuse 15?

Last edited by redboost10; 03-22-2009 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03-22-2009, 10:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

ok pulled down the fuse box, unplugged the gem connectors. at first i unplugged them one at a time and the testlight was still on. so then i unplugged them both at the same time and it went off. does that mean a bad gem?
Old 03-22-2009, 11:06 AM
Premium Member

you need to put a meter on it and measure milliamps. a test light is not accurate enough. Also the computer enough time to go into sleep mode after you key off and shut the door.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:10 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

ive been sitting in the truck with the doors shut doing all this looking through the window at the test light. ill get a meter and do it that way.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:24 AM
Premium Member

How much longer than a week does it take to completely drain them? Did you fully charge and test each battery while disconnected from the truck?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.