7.3 Questions, New to diesels - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2009, 05:52 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
7.3 Questions, New to diesels

Hello all.

I just got my hands on a 99 F-250. I have been searching and reading on the mods, issues, etc... on the 7.3.

It currently has a BD 90 horse chip, and a Magnaflow 4" SS turbo back exhaust, which has been on it for about 50K miles. Anyone know the TQ numbers with this chip? Does it do any trans tuning?

I currently have Pyro, Boost, and trans temp gauges on order. Can I drill and tap the manifold with the engine running (to blow out shavings)?

I plan the DIY intake or getting in on the S&B group buy.

I have been reading alot about the "TW" chips/programer. Would it be worth spending the money over the BD thats currently on it?

How much can the trans handle before it needs to be upgraded?

Thanks for any help/advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2009, 07:33 PM
The Screwy HEUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchiafava99 View Post
Hello all.

I just got my hands on a 99 F-250. I have been searching and reading on the mods, issues, etc... on the 7.3.

It currently has a BD 90 horse chip, and a Magnaflow 4" SS turbo back exhaust, which has been on it for about 50K miles. Anyone know the TQ numbers with this chip? Does it do any trans tuning?

I currently have Pyro, Boost, and trans temp gauges on order. Can I drill and tap the manifold with the engine running (to blow out shavings)?

I plan the DIY intake or getting in on the S&B group buy.

I have been reading alot about the "TW" chips/programer. Would it be worth spending the money over the BD thats currently on it?

How much can the trans handle before it needs to be upgraded?

Thanks for any help/advice.
As far as drilling the hole while the engine's running, I wouldn't try it. It's easy to remove the driver's side exh manifold, that would be your best bet. As far as the TW, it's an awesome chip & you can get it reburned for future mods you install on the truck(i.e.- injectors, turbo, etc.) Either check out Total Diesel Performance or talk to Raul@StealthAutomotive.com. Raul's awesome & he can help you with all of your mod needs.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:03 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I have no idea what the BD chip is, but if it's similar to Edge, Superchips or the other off-the-shelf tuners then a TW chip or DP Tuner will be a big upgrade.
For the pyro install don't worry about the shavings or pulling the exhaust manifold- just drill your hole oriented downward (use the up-pipe just aft of the manifold if you have to) and drill away. Don't use any grease either, let the chips fall. 99% of the shavings will fall to the ground if you do it this way.
Depending on how heavy your foot is and what you use the truck for the stock trans should be fine for quite a while. A valve body from JW or BTS or a kit like the Transgo Tugger is a good upgrade to stock for more longevity. And get yourself a 6.0 trans cooler.
BTW, welcome to the org! Lots of good info here, you'll be doing a lot of reading
Old 03-18-2009, 04:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks guys. I'm leaning towards the TW chip and a valve body upgrade. It'll prolly never have more than 5K pounds behind it.......
Old 03-18-2009, 04:37 PM
The Screwy HEUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchiafava99 View Post
Thanks guys. I'm leaning towards the TW chip and a valve body upgrade. It'll prolly never have more than 5K pounds behind it.......
Good luck, man! Let us know how you make out & welcome to the forum!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.