Coolant??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2009, 05:12 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Coolant???

Well i just noticed that my water pump is starting to leak, so i got a project to do in the near future. So i was curious what is the proper way of flushing the system completely out, and what kinda of coolant would you recommend me putting back into it. Oh and what is the precedure for taking the water pump off? Any help would be greatly appericated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2009, 07:35 PM
The Screwy HEUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by deere4440 View Post
Well i just noticed that my water pump is starting to leak, so i got a project to do in the near future. So i was curious what is the proper way of flushing the system completely out, and what kinda of coolant would you recommend me putting back into it. Oh and what is the precedure for taking the water pump off? Any help would be greatly appericated!
The waterpump's a pretty simple operation. Just take a good look @ it & you should be able to figure it out easily. As far as type of coolant, just stick with the green stuff. Prestone's a pretty good company.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:49 AM
Premium Member

Old 03-18-2009, 08:47 AM

After you complete a good flush of the coolant system and replace your water pump you may also want to consider installing a coolant filter. The 7.3’s are known for having a lot of sand that remains in the block after the casting process. This sand can continue to “weep” out of the pours of the block for years even after flushing the system. The sand floating around in the system can cause accelerated wear on the water pump as well as the rest of your cooling system. Just something to consider. As far as the coolant goes, You will be able to find waaaaay too many post’s that talk about the color/type/brand of coolant to use. Some of the 2002 trucks produced early in the production run came equipped with “green” coolant. The 2002 trucks produced later in the production run came equipped with “gold” coolant. If the truck came with green, use green. If the truck came with gold, use gold. You also have the option of switching to a true heavy duty diesel spec coolant. Again, you will be able to find lots of information (and tons of passionate opinions) about the type of coolant available/recommended for your 7.3. Good luck with your project.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to ABoyAndHisToys
I would replace it with the same color that came out. Also a filter is a great idea.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:07 PM

I have tried to paste a link below that will take you to another post that discusses coolant filters. If you look at my post about 4 or 5 down from the top you will see a couple of pics and the links to take you a site that sells the filter base and the filter. You can also buy the complete set-up with all the fittings, clamps, hose, filter base, bracket and spin-on filter from Dieselsite.com

anyone know how make a coolant filter
Old 03-23-2009, 03:54 PM
Premium Member

Ok well that kinda helps me out. Any other help out there???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.