Thinkin bout picking up 01-02 F250 powerstroke - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2007, 06:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to therealchimmike
Thinkin bout picking up 01-02 F250 powerstroke

So I'm here doing my typical research.

I had an 03 350z turbocharged that was totalled back in november. I don't want to do the car thing anymore but CANNOT go without turbo again! haha.

I've seen the incredible power the diesels can make, especially the powestrokes, and the decent mileage they get. I'll occasionally be towing an 8k lb trailer, which I'm positive it can handle, but otherwise I'll just be screwing with the power and stuff.

Any suggestions, tips, or hints would be greatly appreciated.

I think I can pick one up for between 18-23k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2007, 07:10 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to rufushusky
bummer on the car. You should be able to find an 01-02 well within that price range. However be forewarned that 01+ PSDs have PMR limiting horsepower to about 400rwhp or so. However the Fords are, from what I have heard, the best trucks to tow with thanks to their shear weight, great mirrors and good engine..best of luck with the search.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:13 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What do you mean by PMR? So I'm guessing the 00 or 02 is a better option based on that then?
Old 01-11-2007, 07:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to rufushusky
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealchimmike View Post
What do you mean by PMR? So I'm guessing the 00 or 02 is a better option based on that then?
PMR = powder metal rods as apposed to the forged rods in the 99-00 PSD, international starting using them in early 01. There is nothing wrong with them, they just can not handle as much power as the forged rods in the slightly older trucks. Since you mentioned you wanted power I just wanted to give you the heads up but if all you are going to do is gauges, chip, exhaust, intake or so then they should hold up just fine. If you start getting bigger turbos, injectors and HPOP then you should think of some forged or chromoly rods and some other mods.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:58 AM
im fat and ugly

welcome to the site
Old 01-11-2007, 08:05 AM
HardLuck Case of the Year

Send a message via AIM to Ditty Send a message via Yahoo to Ditty
WORD!!! If you looking for pure, raw power, get one with Forged Rods, unless your willing to crack the motor apart (read: taking it out) and installing aftermarket rods. If you just want something diesel that will be quick, it all depends on how much $$$ your willing to spend. A typical 7.3L 99-03 will pull ANYTHING you want, and be able to hold it's own on the street against just about anything, while still being good as a daily driver for a minimal investment. (Your NOT going to get better than mid 12's though with out breaking the bank.) For all out power and a street/strip monster your going want all the expencive internals anyway which are EXPENCIVE.

(Edit: I should have started with this!)

What are your power goals with this truck? Are you going to be driving it daily, whooping up on the High School Kids in there Hon-DUHS, and towing occasionally OR are you just wanting something kinda quick, mostly for pulling your trailer and toating around the family?
If you have aspirations like I do, (EVENTUALLY) your probably going to want all the power in the world in a daily driver that is NEVER going to haul anything other than my chubby butt and maybe the g/f; so I'm thinking of getting an older Cummins or Duramax for whoopin' butt. (That's why I have a Ford PSD...to tow stuff.) The Ford is able to go quick, but it's a lot more expencive than the Duramax and Cummins if your looking for the fastest thing in your time-zone.

For the best bang for your buck, I'd try for a late model 6.0L. They are a lot faster than the 7.3L with the same mods, and can still pull buildings down.

Last edited by Ditty; 01-11-2007 at 08:22 AM.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

so the PMR's are in the 01's and on up?
hmm. I'm basically setting my limit to about 24-25k, so I don't think an 04 6.0L will fit in my budget, just extended cab. I'm not looking for crew cab, either.

beepbeepbeepbeep THOSE PMR's! My finance won't do more than x amount of time on 00-older.

Hmm...we'll see. The cummins are reasnoable but the duramax are expensive!

I mean, if I were to upgrade intercooler, do chip, 5" exhaust, maybe port the turbo............basically, what am I looking at for the absolute limits of the motor safely? I was considering the turbonetics turbo/ic upgrade (torque-master.com).

I mean, what kind of power does it put down stock, vs. the whp limits (and I guess I should be talking torque) on the powdered metal rods?

Anyone do methanol injection? Reason I ask, I have a spearco water/meth injection kit brand spankin new I never got to install on the Z.

Thanks for all the patience and help And yeah, if I could do mid 12s on stock motor, HELL YEA! lol...in a 5500+lb truck!

Last edited by therealchimmike; 01-11-2007 at 11:11 AM.
Old 01-11-2007, 12:45 PM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Lord Tauk Send a message via AIM to Lord Tauk
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealchimmike View Post
so the PMR's are in the 01's and on up?
hmm. I'm basically setting my limit to about 24-25k, so I don't think an 04 6.0L will fit in my budget, just extended cab. I'm not looking for crew cab, either.

beepbeepbeepbeep THOSE PMR's! My finance won't do more than x amount of time on 00-older.

Hmm...we'll see. The cummins are reasnoable but the duramax are expensive!

I mean, if I were to upgrade intercooler, do chip, 5" exhaust, maybe port the turbo............basically, what am I looking at for the absolute limits of the motor safely? I was considering the turbonetics turbo/ic upgrade (torque-master.com).

I mean, what kind of power does it put down stock, vs. the whp limits (and I guess I should be talking torque) on the powdered metal rods?

Anyone do methanol injection? Reason I ask, I have a spearco water/meth injection kit brand spankin new I never got to install on the Z.

Thanks for all the patience and help And yeah, if I could do mid 12s on stock motor, HELL YEA! lol...in a 5500+lb truck!

5,500 lbs? Try to close to 8,000.
Old 01-11-2007, 01:10 PM
HardLuck Case of the Year

Send a message via AIM to Ditty Send a message via Yahoo to Ditty
Word on the 8000 lbs. And your never going to get 12's in a PSD on the stock motor. Your looking at around $10-20K for high to mid 13's if your lucky and that isn't on the stock motor and PMR's. I'll be happy with 15's in my truck. I've invested about $2000 on mods for my truck and while it's fun to drive, and pretty quick, it's no barn-burner. For 12's, your looking at a RegCab, ShortBed, gutted with all the performance parts you can get your hands on...including nitrous and meth. Also looking at getting some traction upgrades.

Stock, you looking at about 230-250hp at the crank, about 400 ft/lbs.

With my mods, I'd be happy with 330hp and 500 ft/lbs...but that is just a guesstimate and probably a high one.

A lot of guys are using a water/meth system. Look up Snow Performance in google. They are one of the most popular. I'm not sure about using the spearco system on the Diesel...you'd probably be happier selling that thing on ebay and getting one designed for a diesel.

For turbo upgrades, look at Beans Diesel, or any of the other vendors on the site. They will all hook you up.

If your looking at a performance turbo, (not just a stock upgrade), your also looking at getting injectors....again, the vendors will help you.

-
(Guys, did I goof anything or miss anything???)
Old 01-11-2007, 01:40 PM
International Threat

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
400 RWhp is the limit on PMR's. That's not too shabby and will spank ANY stock diesel out there and most cars on the road. It'll keep up with the chipped commonrails also since they're pushing around 400-430 hp.

400 RWhp will take (i/e/g of course) Programming, Injectors, Trans at a bare minimum. To advance you could try Big oil, Turbo, 6.0 I/C etc etc... It's gonna cost a pretty penny AFTER the intial purchase.

You're looking at around 190hp at the rear wheels on a stock truck. 210 extra ponies at the rear wheels will be a totally different monstor!!!!

And for the record my truck weighs 8200 lbs

Last edited by Marty; 01-11-2007 at 01:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.