Newbie question i'm sure for the thousandth time - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2009, 05:33 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Newbie question i'm sure for the thousandth time

Sorry guys as I am sure this is asked multiple times per day. I have had my 2002 F250 7.3 ext cap 6 ft bed for about 4 months now and am ready to do some minor upgrades. Nothing to costly but the small things I can start with to increase my mpg and maybe hp, but the mpg is more important to start. I am currently getting 17.5 - 18 mpg and just added a K&N air filter so I dont know how much that will help yet. So my question is for you guys, if you were starting from scratch on a budget, what would you do first, second and third to get going. Thanks in advance for any responses and great site by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2009, 05:39 PM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would lose the new K&N air filter and replace with the DIY intake. LINK: DIY INTAKE ! ! ! ! ("tymar knockoff")

Others will be along with ideas!
Old 03-07-2009, 05:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lance125 View Post
Sorry guys as I am sure this is asked multiple times per day. I have had my 2002 F250 7.3 ext cap 6 ft bed for about 4 months now and am ready to do some minor upgrades. Nothing to costly but the small things I can start with to increase my mpg and maybe hp, but the mpg is more important to start. I am currently getting 17.5 - 18 mpg and just added a K&N air filter so I dont know how much that will help yet. So my question is for you guys, if you were starting from scratch on a budget, what would you do first, second and third to get going. Thanks in advance for any responses and great site by the way.
glad you're here
i was gonna get a K&N cold air intake about how i read they let in too much dust particles which will chip your turbo blades and cause other problems
after MUCH reading, i decided to use a Baldwin PA2818 air filter, a hose clamp, and a 3.5" PVC coupling to replace the stock air box and filter. i haven't really calculate any mileage with it but i can tell it flows WAY better and i think it MIGHT . . . MIGHT . . . have got me 1mpg already. DON'T JUDGE ME GUYS!
anyway, for about 55 bucks or so, you can do that and it's easy
i should have pics in my profile
if not just ask me
Old 03-07-2009, 05:53 PM
Powerstroke Junkie

#1 get rid of that K&N as they have dusted many a PSD, second you need to let the big 7.3 breathe, cheapest way is to do the DIY Intake and change the factory muffler to the Walker BTM, there is no need for a 4" system for a mildly modded truck. For mileage that is the best mods, besides proper air pressure in the tires. I would also get a full set of gauges, the lower you keep the boost the better the mileage will be.

NCH
Old 03-07-2009, 05:56 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
+ 1 more in losing the K&N filter...

i would do gauges first... you want to be able to monitor whats going on even on a stock truck...

second i would do a better transmission cooler.. the stock one is a joke...

third i would do the chip.. a custom tuned chip like the TW...

hope this helps.. let me know if you have any questions or need prices

-Raul
Old 03-07-2009, 08:01 PM

+1 more for dumping K&N. Defineately get gauges first then look at an exhaust system and cold air intake.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:53 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

I didn't mention anything regarding HP as you said mileage was more important. But for HP gains you need the same mods as I listed above with the addition of a VB for the trans, Raul is 100% correct if you are towing you will want a 6.0 cooler if you see sustained trans temps above 200 degrees, so get gauges first.

NCH
Old 03-08-2009, 10:40 AM

Quick Question about the Walker BTM. I have a 2003 7.3 F350. Everything stock. I have gauges trans. egt and boost. I can get away with just swapping out the stock muffler for the BTM? Eventually I will be doing an intake and most likely dp or TW tuner. The BTM will be able to handle the tuner? Sorry if its a repetitive question. I'm new to the diesel scene. Learning alot from powerstroke.org. Thanks
Old 03-08-2009, 06:27 PM

Yep the stock exhaust and a BTM will really help on the cheap. Just one of this and a
big air filter really helps. If you are not chipped then you can stop with just that.

Now .. if you want lots more power you need to get gauges to see hat is happening

This is the order I did...

Gauges (had gauges 6-years before I moved to the next step)
Big filter intake
Exhaust (Diamond Eye 4-inch from Tony)
6-pos chip from Tony
ATS housing (because the turbo sound like a tea kettle when towing heavy)
ITP over boost eliminator

I tow in Tx, so not many hills.. Trans temp issues are no problem with the stock
cooler.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:32 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

Yes the BTM will easily handle what you are planning to do. Look at my mods and I have zero problems with EGT's. EGT's are controlled by proper air flow and better tunning you have to have both!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.