01 7.3 coolant type? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2009, 04:22 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
01 7.3 coolant type?

I know this has been discussed here before. I've searched for the tread I need but have come up empty handed....

I'll be doing a waterpump in my 01 7.3 this w/e. The dealer says that this year/motor can run the green antifreeze. -Not sure if this is true so, just checking.

But, am I, for some reason, better off with the gold stuff?

So, #2, what are the specs for the antifreeze that i should be running in this?....and yes, i'm aware of the needed additive....just need to find some test strips.

Lastly, what's the overall capacity of the system? If i switch to 'gold' antifreeze, i'll be draining the block as well, flushing with distilled H20 and refilling....

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2009, 06:17 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Get the longlife CAT rated stuff, your truck and use it (most 99's cant). I used the
DELO brand, there are many others. It will last 5-years and will not need to keep
testing and adding the additive that most people have no idea you are supposed to add.

Did you know that you needed to keep adding the coolant additive??
Old 03-05-2009, 06:50 AM
Premium Member

yes, i was aware of the need to keep the additive up to par...big PIA if you ask me.

Cool, i thought there were some brands of coolant that didn't need this maintance.

CAT longlife huh?
Old 03-05-2009, 06:59 AM
Premium Member

it looks like the cooling capacity is 8 gal.

do you all use a 50/50 mix - 4 gal water, 4 gal coolant?
i'm in a cold climate...

thx!
Old 03-05-2009, 12:14 PM
Powerstroke Junkie

I would only use a coolant that meets the strick ECI rating and you won't find it at any auto parts store. Fleetrite ELC is what I use, you want the concentrate not the 50/50. The Gold coolant is not maintenance FREE like some claim, including Ferd. It doesn't even meet min cavitation requirements right out of the jug. Don't believe me try it yourself, it will test at 800 ppm, min requirements are 1200 ppm and ideal is 16-1800 ppm, you will need two bottles of additive to bring the Gold coolant up to par!! But Ferd saved 100's of thousands by going to one universal coolant. The EC-1 is good for 300K and out to 600K if the extender is used at 300K, but no other additives are required, just make sure you perform the proper flush.

NCH
Old 03-06-2009, 06:51 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Many makers of the ELC. Yes, search and find the concentrate. It will be hard to
find, I had to go to a distributer.

I have a few gallons of 50/50 that I bought by mistake. I will just drain a gallon
each year and add a new one back in to keep things fresh. With 300,000 change out
I can go 24years... LOL I think I will change it in 5 years or so.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:47 PM
Premium Member

Great!

Thank you everyone!!!
Old 03-06-2009, 09:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Just had my '02 cooling system flushed thursday at the dealership, I always thought you had to use the GOLD antifreeze also. Well I got it back that same day and the antifreeze is GREEN. Was a surprise to me. $188.00 to flush and add additive, I didn't think that was all too bad. Probably could have got the antifreeze cheaper elsewhere, but I don't have the free time.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:22 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmd View Post
Many makers of the ELC. Yes, search and find the concentrate. It will be hard to
find, I had to go to a distributer.

I have a few gallons of 50/50 that I bought by mistake. I will just drain a gallon
each year and add a new one back in to keep things fresh. With 300,000 change out
I can go 24years... LOL I think I will change it in 5 years or so.

Yes many makers of so called "ELC" coolants but not all that many that meet the EC1 rating. Don't buy into a label on a jug, read the specs!!

NCH
Old 02-03-2010, 05:38 PM

Hornet , I will check with you since you seem to know, my 2001 has grenn antifreeze in it, with towing season coming up I wanted to flush mine since I don't know with 150,000 if its ever been done. At our shop we have the CAT red extended lige that states it meets EC-1 ratings. Should this be safe and great to use?? Thankyou for you time and expertise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.