help please truck wont start - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-01-2009, 08:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
help please truck wont start

i have a 2002 f-250 powerstroke and its got 85k miles and for some reason when i go to start it in around 50 degree F weather and less it wont start im assuming the glow plugs need to be replaced. any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 03-01-2009, 08:59 PM
The Screwy HEUI
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Smithfield, RI
Posts: 4,585
Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by f250_02 View Post
i have a 2002 f-250 powerstroke and its got 85k miles and for some reason when i go to start it in around 50 degree F weather and less it wont start im assuming the glow plugs need to be replaced. any suggestions?
Possibly GPs or the GPR. Also have you had the CPS recall done yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 03-01-2009, 09:02 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Zelienople, Pa
Posts: 641
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to harrys91rs
+1 for possibly gpr.

Here's the tech files on glow plugs/ relay and how to test them:
Glow Plug / AIH Relay locations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 03-01-2009, 09:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarRider View Post
Possibly GPs or the GPR. Also have you had the CPS recall done yet?
yea im not to familiar with powerstrokes so what are GPR's and CPS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 03-01-2009, 09:05 PM
The Screwy HEUI
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Smithfield, RI
Posts: 4,585
Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by f250_02 View Post
yea im not to familiar with powerstrokes so what are GPR's and CPS
GPR= Glow Plug Relay. If you look in the 7.3 tech files, there's a thread that shows you where it is on top of your engine. The CPS is your Cam Position Sensor. I figured since your truck has such low miles, it might not have been replaced yet. Your CPS is just above your crank pulley, has a wiring harness running to it, & is held in with 1, 10mm bolt. There's a recall on these & you can get a new one from Ford for free if it hasn't been done yet. Since your truck won't start, you might have to go to Ford or IH & buy one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 03-01-2009, 09:24 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarRider View Post
GPR= Glow Plug Relay. If you look in the 7.3 tech files, there's a thread that shows you where it is on top of your engine. The CPS is your Cam Position Sensor. I figured since your truck has such low miles, it might not have been replaced yet. Your CPS is just above your crank pulley, has a wiring harness running to it, & is held in with 1, 10mm bolt. There's a recall on these & you can get a new one from Ford for free if it hasn't been done yet. Since your truck won't start, you might have to go to Ford or IH & buy one.
damn how much do you think eight new gp's are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 03-01-2009, 10:25 PM
The Screwy HEUI
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Smithfield, RI
Posts: 4,585
Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by f250_02 View Post
damn how much do you think eight new gp's are?
I'm not 100% sure, but they're cheaper than spark plugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:39 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors