couple Q's - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2009, 05:14 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Post couple Q's

hi, i have an 02 f350 and i have a couple parts questions which may belong in the performance section...but also are general...so i dunno, i'm sorry if this thread is in the wrong forum.

1.) i have a magnum force intake system but the filter is shot, i've cleaned it and all but it's still nearly black...can i fit a K&N filter on this or do i have to get another magnum force filter?

2.) i'm looking at the Edge Products Ford Evolution Programmer EEF1120 for my truck...i've read some good reviews on it and it seems to be the most bang for the buck as far as power and fuel mileage gains...do you guys agree? or have any advice about this?

3.) i'm getting about 14-15 mpg during the summer and about 8 mpg during the winter...is this normal? the drive is 50/50 town/highway and on the highway i try to keep the truck generally between 60-70 mph using around 5 lbs. of boost give or take

4.) i have a full 4" exhaust system on the truck but i want to put some stacks on it...if i buy the mbrp split pipe big rig setup and a couple stacks...is that all i'll need for the mod? or will i need to buy a special downpipe and/or muffler? are there other more complete/cheaper/better setups out there for this?

5.) when it rains, the belt squeeks for days on end sometimes...is this common in these trucks?

6.) how often am i supposed to be changing the oil on this truck? i've been doing it every 3k/3months but i drive big deisel trucks for a living and they can go forever without an oil change...am i throwing my money away?

thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2009, 05:21 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Welcome to the ORG!

A K&N may work but I dont know for sure.

Forget about Edge progucts all together. Its not what you want you just dont know it yet. You need to look in to a Tony Wildman or TS chip.

The loss in mialedge is most likley due to the winter blend of diesel that you are putting in your truck. Its normal

Thats all you will need for the stacks. You can keep your stock D-pipe and 99% of folks dont run the muffler anyway

Belt sqeal is not common. Replace it or adjust it.

Thats over kill on the OIL chnge. You can go to between 5K and 8K miles and be safe!
Old 02-28-2009, 05:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeTown View Post
hi, i have an 02 f350 and i have a couple parts questions which may belong in the performance section...but also are general...so i dunno, i'm sorry if this thread is in the wrong forum.

1.) i have a magnum force intake system but the filter is shot, i've cleaned it and all but it's still nearly black...can i fit a K&N filter on this or do i have to get another magnum force filter?
I have never seen a magna force. If it is a 4" clamp on style it will work. Most do not like the K&N. I would PM Raul@stealthautomotive he is a sponsor her on the ORG
2.) i'm looking at the Edge Products Ford Evolution Programmer EEF1120 for my truck...i've read some good reviews on it and it seems to be the most bang for the buck as far as power and fuel mileage gains...do you guys agree? or have any advice about this?
Most will tel you to stear clear of Edge. There are a few tuners that do custom tuning on the 7.3. Just because a company advertises in a mag and claims this and that doesnt mean squat.
3.) i'm getting about 14-15 mpg during the summer and about 8 mpg during the winter...is this normal? the drive is 50/50 town/highway and on the highway i try to keep the truck generally between 60-70 mph using around 5 lbs. of boost give or take
Winter blend fuel will cause this.
4.) i have a full 4" exhaust system on the truck but i want to put some stacks on it...if i buy the mbrp split pipe big rig setup and a couple stacks...is that all i'll need for the mod? or will i need to buy a special downpipe and/or muffler? are there other more complete/cheaper/better setups out there for this?
Sounds about right.
5.) when it rains, the belt squeeks for days on end sometimes...is this common in these trucks?
No check the belt and pullys you probably have a bad belt.
6.) how often am i supposed to be changing the oil on this truck? i've been doing it every 3k/3months but i drive big deisel trucks for a living and they can go forever without an oil change...am i throwing my money away?
I change mine every 5K and every 10k i change the fuel filter and drain the seperator.
thanks for your time.
Welcome to the ORG

Last edited by szyd; 02-28-2009 at 05:55 AM.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:53 AM
lifetime member

welcome to the org!
Old 02-28-2009, 05:56 AM
Premium Member

RRonning pretty much covered it...

Personally I wouldn't run a K&N, but that can be a touchy subject.

The Edge is not the best bang for the buck, unless they have gotten A LOT cheaper. Tony Wildman is a good choice I hear, but the DP Tuner is the other popular option. I went from an Edge Evolution to the DP Tuner and WOW! What a difference. There have been plenty of arguing between Tony Wildman's and DP Tuner. Seems like whichever one a person has is the best.

Seems like a little bit of a big drop for winter fuel, but it is quite possible that is the cause. You definitely loose some mileage on winter fuel.

I don't know much about stacks, but a regular tailpipe without a muffler isn't really that loud.

Belt squeal is definitely not common...I have never heard my belt squeal, even out mudding (I know it gets at least some water splashed on it).

Probably at least a little overkill on the oil change. I try for around 4-5k lately. Oil analysis says I can get 8k+ out of it, but the injector longevity is very dependant on clean oil and clean fuel. With the price of injectors, an "extra oil change or two" is somewhat cheap insurance to me.

Hope this helps, and Welcome to the ORG!
Old 02-28-2009, 05:58 AM
<<---"Shadow"---

Send a message via Yahoo to sea71
WELCOME to the site! Looks like you already got some great info and advice.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:09 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenF350 View Post
RRonning pretty much covered it...

Personally I wouldn't run a K&N, but that can be a touchy subject.

The Edge is not the best bang for the buck, unless they have gotten A LOT cheaper. Tony Wildman is a good choice I hear, but the DP Tuner is the other popular option. I went from an Edge Evolution to the DP Tuner and WOW! What a difference. There have been plenty of arguing between Tony Wildman's and DP Tuner. Seems like whichever one a person has is the best.

Seems like a little bit of a big drop for winter fuel, but it is quite possible that is the cause. You definitely loose some mileage on winter fuel.

I don't know much about stacks, but a regular tailpipe without a muffler isn't really that loud.

Belt squeal is definitely not common...I have never heard my belt squeal, even out mudding (I know it gets at least some water splashed on it).

Probably at least a little overkill on the oil change. I try for around 4-5k lately. Oil analysis says I can get 8k+ out of it, but the injector longevity is very dependant on clean oil and clean fuel. With the price of injectors, an "extra oil change or two" is somewhat cheap insurance to me.

Hope this helps, and Welcome to the ORG!
I meant DP and not TS. I dont know where that came from!
Old 03-02-2009, 06:49 PM

what's a seperator?

i'll research those chips...never heard of them

is offroad diesel legal to run on the street?
Old 03-03-2009, 04:41 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeTown View Post
what's a separator?

I'll research those chips...never heard of them

is off road diesel legal to run on the street?
The fuel water seperator is on the back side of the fuel bowl. It is a yellow lever you flip which drains the fuel bowl the bottom of the bowl is where any water in the fuel gets collected.

You will be much happier with a custom chip versus the canned tune chips.

You cannot run off road diesel on the street it is dyed red and if caught it is a huge fine.

Last edited by szyd; 03-03-2009 at 04:49 AM.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:18 AM
Dieselis' Maximus

for the squeel check your tensioner. i havent had to replace mine but i have in other vehicles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.