Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

newbie here.... 7.3 vs 6.0 ???

2K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  Nosparkplugs 
#1 ·
Hey yall,

Can you guys that have driven both 7.3 and 6.0 powered SD's tell me what you thought about seat of the pants feel, and fuel mileage?

My personal experience is this...
My first SD was a 99 5.4L (I know, I'm so ashamed..... :doh:). My second was an 03 6.0L CC Lariat with every option. That engine was awesome but I only put 23k miles on it before trading it for an 02 vette (and a pile of cash).

I've never owned a 7.3L but test drove two 01's last year. Both were sitting on 35's, and both were absolute dogs. My 88 F-150 with 180 HP 302 sitting on 35's has considerably better pep than either of those 7.3's, and mine's annoyingly slow! Maybe those two trucks were not the norm, IDK.

So I'm looking for another SD and not sure which engine I want. What do you guys think that have put a lot of miles on both? Are the 7.3's really that much slower/less responsive than the 6.0? What kind of mileage are/were you getting in each (tuned or not)? Mileage isn't as important performance, but it's still something I think about. I generally put a lot of miles on a vehicle.

Thanks,
Cliff

See less See more
#2 ·
well ive had a 99.5 and an 01 and both of them were stock and both hauled a$$ they got 13 to 15 in town and 17 to 18 on the highway but my 03 was a dog when i got it no that responsive and very sluggish until the chip then it woke up i think i know why its sluggish but yea thats my experience

#3 ·
I'd guess that the 2 strokes you drove and didn't like weren't regeared when they were lifted. Is your 150 regeared by chance?
I've not spent much seat time in 6 leakers, but I do know this- box stock a 6.0 is going to feel more peppy than a 7.3. They also wake up nicely with tuning. The 7.3 takes a bit more finesse and $ to get to the power level the 6.0 can go to. But... the 6 leaker does have its share of problems. The EGR is a huge issue, and they like to lift heads. The 7.3 with the usual mods will be a good solid motor up to around the 400hp mark, then you've got to start being careful. A 6.0 can go over 400 easily with head studs and an EGR delete.
It all comes down to what you really want, and what you can get the best deal on I guess. I went with the 7.3 for reliability. IMO the 7.3 is a bit more of a workhorse too, which is what I need. There are lots of happy 7.3 owners, and lots of happy 6 leaker owners out there. Do some research, figure out what you want to do, and see what you can get the best deal on. It's a buyers market right now, I've seen some nice trucks advertised at really low prices. Good luck!

#9 ·
I'd guess that the 2 strokes you drove and didn't like weren't regeared when they were lifted. Is your 150 regeared by chance?
My F-150 has 3.55's which helps but is nowhere what it needs considering the weight of the tires (35 X 12.5 X 15) and lack of HP & torque.

Those two 01's could have been the worst 2 ever built, or the best, I don't know and have no other experience with the 7.3L. That's why I was asking about it.

I appreciate the input from all. I posted the same question in 6.0 general discussion and got zero responses.

Any other opinions, thoughts? What kind of fuel mileage are you getting with 7.3's, with or without tuners?

Thanks again,
Cliff

#4 ·
My personal truck is the 01 EX 7.3 2wd. I love it. I just recently started with the mods and yes, they do make a huge differance. I was happy with it stock also, I drove it many years that way and didn't have any complaints.
At work I drive a 05 F550 6.0 2wd with a boom.

The EX weighs in around 9,000, the F550 around 15,000 with the boom.
Stock, I am sure the 6.0 out performs the 7.3. But, the 6.0 has a huge turbo lag. This is the only one I have ever driven so I'm not sure if this is common in all. It also runs at a higher RPM so it tends to scream instead of Hummm like the 7.3. Even before the mods in the 7.3, I liked it better. Now with the mods I love it more.
Too bad I cant tweak the company truck. That would be fun.
I'm not into racing, I just like to have a little fun and enjoy getting there.
Good luck with you're hunt and either way you go I'm sure you will be happy.

#5 ·
The EX weighs in around 9,000, the F550 around 15,000 with the boom.
Stock, I am sure the 6.0 out performs the 7.3. But, the 6.0 has a huge turbo lag. This is the only one I have ever driven so I'm not sure if this is common in all. It also runs at a higher RPM so it tends to scream instead of Hummm like the 7.3. Even before the mods in the 7.3, I liked it better. Now with the mods I love it more.
Too bad I cant tweak the company truck. That would be fun.
I'm not into racing, I just like to have a little fun and enjoy getting there.
Good luck with you're hunt and either way you go I'm sure you will be happy.
the 6.0 spools fast but they whine like a bizatch! I HATE it!!

a stock 7.3 is a dog and I really remembered that when I set my edge to stock for a day till i put in my chip. but a hot tuned 7.3 is pretty nice! its much nicer! remember in stock form that 6.0 will have almost 100 hp more then the 7.3. it all comes down to price and the deal you find. the 6.0 needs egr deletes and also head studs to be reliable if you mod. studs = big bucks

the 7.3 if you light mod is fun. if you want 400+hp you need forged rods (99 to 00 ish) any year after that you are pretty limited. and in my case my 01 has pmr and that is a good thing! keeps me from dropping big bucks on turbos and sticks :)

if you go 6.0 get a 05 or later. that was when they worked most of the bugs out of them. I know a few owners with 03 and 04s and about half of them have no issues and the other half have nothing but issues! I know 2 people with 06s and never had a problem!

#7 ·
I own a 7.3 but have driven a 6.0. I liked how fast the 6.0 was and how it sounded but the 7.3 is tried and true. There is a reason Ford ran the 7.3 for 15 years!

#12 ·
ok heres my story. i have the 02 listed on my sig... i also own a 6.0... to be honsest with you ill take a sluggish 7.3 over the badest 6.0 anyday.. in my 6.0 i have put two motors in it along with a new cooling system. its an 04 and has 150,000 miles on it and every motor has been virgin.. sure it has some throughback power but it has been a 25,000 dollar money pit where as my 7.3 has never spent the night at the ford house. lol. i had a cam sensor and a dent fixed and thats about it. i would go with the 7.3... put a TS chip and an exhaust and that thing will do whatever u want. but if you like spendin cash on fixing rather than building then buy the 6.0..

#13 ·
Currently have 4 7.3's and 3 6.0's. 7.3 is by far more reliable. 2wd 7.3's are punchy and could probably keep up with a 4wd 6.0. My 7.3 and my moms 7.3 are both 2wd and are fast. My 6.0 and sisters 6.0 are 4wd, one on 35's the other on 37's and it feels like the 7.3 could take those trucks.

#15 ·
brave words on the 7.3 forum... if you scroll up a bit you will notice the section for the 6.0 lovers. they seem to have lots of time and money for thier reliable trucks..

#19 · (Edited)
Kind of like comparing a Harley to a Honda. I'll take the Harley every time.
I was getting 20ish on the hwy stock. Now with intake, exhaust, and chip, I get about 25ish on the hwy. Believe it or not.

I'm not trading in the 49 PanHead or the 59 IronHead for the newer stronger faster. I love them for what they are.

#21 ·
i am driving a 6.0 now. i have had five 7.3's and love(d) them (still have one) for what they are. one of them was hot rodded with mild mods and i loved it. had 226,000 when a right rear tire blew and she rolled 4 & a half times. tore all to h**l but i was protected. the other is a work truck, 100%. now the 6.0 i work mildly daily towing up to 8,000 lbs on a hot tune and all it does is haul a**. when no load on it it runs real good. if you want a hot rod get the 6.0. if you want the work truck, go with the 7.3. if you have plenty of money go with the 6.0 and run the crap out of it. the harder you run the 6.0, the better it runs!!!!!!!!!!!

#23 ·
I'm still torn between a 6.0 and a 7.3 for my next truck. Actually, the biggest thing leaning me towards a 6.0 has nothing to do with the engine. I really want a power sliding rear window and they did not come out til 04. I guess it will come down to whatever catches my eye first. Well maybe second, the only truck I've seen that I really liked had a 5.4 in it. Man that thing just has a look about it, but I can't get over what's under the hood.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.