oh no not antoher battery dieing thread! help! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2009, 07:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
oh no not antoher battery dieing thread! help!

I have read 100's of threads on here on battery dieing issues. Everyone suggests getting new batteries. Mine were dead over every single night so i got new batteries. Everything has been fine since. This week was the first week i havent used my truck till today and they were dead! Its sat for 4 days. What could be draining them?!

i was thinking i have glow shift gauges. My girl got me, i know i know But they need a wire ran directly to the battery to keep the color on the gauges the same every time you start the truck. Could this be be taking that much power to kill the batteries? Please help! thank you
-cj
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2009, 07:39 AM

Do your battery connectors corrode easily? check the cable connections(i.e. to the starter, gpr, fuse block, alternator) Have your alternator tested, if the diodes are bad that could cause a draw. You can check for a draw by fully charging your batteries then disconnect the cables including the grounds, then connect 1 positive cable, hook a multimeter or a test light to the unhooked ground cable then touch the positive side, if it shows a draw or the light comes on then the hard part comes into play (chasing down the shorted wire)
Old 02-20-2009, 10:02 AM

i had alts checked, they came back ok but then again so did the batteries but i got new ones anyway. the connections were not to corroded but cleaned them up. i didnt check starter, gpr of fuse block. if its corroded what could it mean? thanks for the help 20stroker!
Old 02-20-2009, 12:06 PM

if the positive cable is corroded anywhere along the cable or at any connection it could cause a draw, also if the ground connections are loose that would create a draw(check body, block and frame connections) Also check all your aftermarket accessory connections
Old 02-20-2009, 02:30 PM

i also started noticing this after i installed my dp could that have anythign to do with it in anyway? thanks again for all the help!
Old 02-20-2009, 02:45 PM

I don't think that would cause the problem, I believe that portion of the PCM doesn't get power until the key is on(you could call Jody and ask him to be sure). There have been issues with monitors like the Edge and Bully Dogs drawing juice when the motor is off and the truck sits for awhile. More than likely it's something simple but it sure is a pain in the rear tracking down, you might want to think about taking it to a good shop and asking them if they could trace the draw. just a thought
Old 02-21-2009, 04:13 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

The best way to check for draw is with a amp meter. The truck will always draw a small amount to keep memory alive, but it sounds like you have a excessive draw. Charge the batteries and find someone with a amp meter that understands how to use it and you will be able to trace it down pretty soon. The Glowshift's could be the problem, they are junk, but I still doubt they would draw enough to kill both batteries in 4 days, but I may be wrong.

NCH
Old 02-23-2009, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35thls1ss19 View Post
i also started noticing this after i installed my dp could that have anythign to do with it in anyway? thanks again for all the help!

odd... this is the same thing that happened to me the other day. I installed my chip Friday after work and drove the truck all weekend and parked it Sunday night. Then Tuesday after work it would not start due to dead batteries. I was out of town and could not trouble shoot over the weekend. my clamp meter showed no draw on them after I got it started up and all charged and shut it down. I have a fluke clamp meter (dont remember the model)

now that I am home I need to trouble shoot it this evening. I hope its just dead batteries and they will replace them under the 3 year warranty.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubular031 View Post
odd... this is the same thing that happened to me the other day. I installed my chip Friday after work and drove the truck all weekend and parked it Sunday night. Then Tuesday after work it would not start due to dead batteries. I was out of town and could not trouble shoot over the weekend. my clamp meter showed no draw on them after I got it started up and all charged and shut it down. I have a fluke clamp meter (dont remember the model)

now that I am home I need to trouble shoot it this evening. I hope its just dead batteries and they will replace them under the 3 year warranty.
let me know. i dotn no what to do i am startin to hate the truck i can never just go out and use it when i want. always have to jump it!
Old 02-24-2009, 04:14 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

just a stupid question, one of your mirror lights, hood light, or storage box lights are not staying on are they. had an older truck that the battery was always going dead. looked one night and the glove box light was still on. the switch was stuck on and it never shut off. i thought
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.