tranny - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2009, 09:21 PM
Emergency Services

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question tranny

ok so i bought a 2001 f250 the previous owner said he bought it at 57000 changed the tranny fluid at 75000 miles it now has 126000 miles no problems no chip stock and the fluid smells new and is clear, the previous owner used it to haul a 3000lb trailer and race car i use it to haul a 1500lb boat and a fourwheeler, other than that it hauls its own weight....

should i change the fluid or what....
i was going to pull the drain plug in the pan and tq converter and take of the cooler hoses and blow them out and change the filter i was debating on going synthetic how long can i wait for a change on that? the truck is not abused at all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2009, 09:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

DO IT!! People never think about there trans until it starts slipping. If the fluid looks OK but it has a lot of miles on it, change it. I recommend every year or 20,000 miles. DONT ever do a flush though!! Gas station mechanics will always try to sell you one. I only flush the lines when I have the tranny out being rebuilt. If you flush with the trans in the vehicle, you are asking for trouble.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowstroke View Post
DO IT!! People never think about there trans until it starts slipping. If the fluid looks OK but it has a lot of miles on it, change it. I recommend every year or 20,000 miles. DONT ever do a flush though!! Gas station mechanics will always try to sell you one. I only flush the lines when I have the tranny out being rebuilt. If you flush with the trans in the vehicle, you are asking for trouble.
Whats your theory on why not to flush the tranny.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:38 PM
scuffs *****

Send a message via AIM to Tyler
Quote:
Why is having it flushed bad?
Old 02-19-2009, 09:40 PM

im betting because anything cought in the cooler gets aggitated and then ends back up in your trans. Thats my best guess.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzchey21 View Post
im betting because anything cought in the cooler gets aggitated and then ends back up in your trans. Thats my best guess.
What if the flushing device/tool has a filter setup on it?
Old 02-19-2009, 09:42 PM

good call lowstroker probably knows why but thats a good question.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:43 PM

When you perform a "flush", you start to circulate dirty fluid throughout the cooler lines and trans. This crap will eventually stick valves in the valve body causing pressure problems and thus a smoked trans. I see this all of the time. A customer comes in saying their trans is slipping and they want a diagnosis. I always inquire on service history. A lot of the time, they tell me that they just had it flushed at (wherever). It almost always leads to a costly repair. We sell services every day, however, that include a new filter, fluid and pan gasket. If the converter has a drain plug, then we do that as well.
Old 02-19-2009, 09:48 PM

ya thats what i meant to say lol well put. i work for a Cat dealer and we do particle counts on everthing when we open a hydraulic circuit up and you wont believe how much crap gets in on a simple repair when your being clean!
Old 02-19-2009, 09:56 PM

Quote:
When you perform a "flush", you start to circulate dirty fluid throughout the cooler lines and trans. This crap will eventually stick valves in the valve body causing pressure problems and thus a smoked trans. I see this all of the time. A customer comes in saying their trans is slipping and they want a diagnosis. I always inquire on service history. A lot of the time, they tell me that they just had it flushed at (wherever). It almost always leads to a costly repair. We sell services every day, however, that include a new filter, fluid and pan gasket. If the converter has a drain plug, then we do that as well.
You can still spread debri with a filter equiped flushing machine?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.