benefits of ccv mod? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2009, 07:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
benefits of ccv mod?

what exactly are the benefits of this mod. Cleanliness? why should it be done? is it necessary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2009, 07:32 PM

No it is not necessary. The main reason it is done is the oil eats at the boots and and could blow apart due to the boots being lubed by the oil. The coating of oil inside the intercooler makes it a tad bit less efficient.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:44 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

I won't go as far to say the IC is less efficient without the CCV mod, but I agree 100% with the rest of the above statement. Some could care less while others care about oil dripping on the driveway. I have seen the CCV leak so much oil through the intake boots that it fills the valley and drips down the back of the block and off the bell housing. Many of the ones I have seen the owner had a mechanic tell them a rear main seal was bad!! If you look in my sig I have pics of my engine, look at my intake boots, they haven't been removed or cleaned since 2003. Many on here have seen my engine in person and they will tell you it is clean. There is no performance gains, even though some that have used my CCV mod claim so, I don't, it is simply a good maintenance mod, and yes the less oil on the boots the less chance of them blowing off at higher boost levels!!

CCV Mod
Old 02-20-2009, 03:41 AM

Maybe that’s my oil leak? So you would buy the stealth kit?
By "valley" do you mean right below the turbo? I could pull off one of the boots to see how bad it is.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05StrokeStack View Post
Maybe that’s my oil leak? So you would buy the stealth kit?
By "valley" do you mean right below the turbo? I could pull off one of the boots to see how bad it is.
He builds the Stealth kit!
You don't really need a catch can for the CCV mod (some say it adds restriction and can cause problems) but without one you'll notice a nice plume of nasty smelling white smoke coming from the end of your hose. Mine is vented to the atmosphere right now, but I want to build a catch can for it to help get rid of the smelly smoke. There are TONS of different ways to build a catch can if you feel so inclined to do it yourself.
Old 02-20-2009, 08:21 AM

Let me clarify my previous statement regarding intercooler efficiency. The intercooler is made of aluminum which is one of the best materials for transferring heat. The job of the intercooler is to cool the intake charge. So if you put a coating of oil and fine particulates on it. You lower its ability to do its job by insulating it with gunk.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:27 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by superduty4x4 View Post
He builds the Stealth kit!
You don't really need a catch can for the CCV mod (some say it adds restriction and can cause problems) but without one you'll notice a nice plume of nasty smelling white smoke coming from the end of your hose. Mine is vented to the atmosphere right now, but I want to build a catch can for it to help get rid of the smelly smoke. There are TONS of different ways to build a catch can if you feel so inclined to do it yourself.

Yes, the kit Raul sells is Manufactured by me. My CCV mod will never cause restriction, over 300 of them sold and not a single problem. Just ask anyone who uses them. Raul will answer all your questions, or you can always PM me. Running the hose out the back is not what I consider the coirrect way of doing the CCV mod, it is messy and smells, but alot of folks do it. It is also against emission laws to alter that factory flow of air. Not a problem now, but it's coming. The 7.3 is very sensitive to backpressure so be very careful with your experimenting, I have seen more than one member turn his stroker into a oil fountain by doing this.
Take Care

NCH
Old 02-21-2009, 05:17 PM

how would it get turned into an "oil fountain" what do you need to do wrong to do this? I'm just wondering because I am thinking about doing this mod but dont want to skrew anything up??
thanks
Old 02-22-2009, 04:39 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

It's called BACKPRESSURE, and the 7.3 is very sensitive to it. Be vey careful about experimenting, most have learned it's just not worth it.

NCH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.