Gryphon Programmer for 7.3L - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2009, 11:20 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gryphon Programmer for 7.3L

Power Hungry Performance - Gryphon Dash Mount Programmer for 7.3L Power Stroke Diesels

Anyone here use this or have experience with it/know anything good or bad about it?

Seems to be the highest rated programmer for power and right up there with a custom chip for about the same price plus all the additional features it offers for calibration and monitoring that chips don't offer. I wanna hear if this is a good one to buy or not.

Post up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2009, 11:28 AM

Never heard of them. Have you talked to them at all? I would be concerned about cylinder pressures and I'm wondering if they've done any testing with that in mind...
Old 02-18-2009, 11:38 AM

I was also looking into the Gryphon programmer. I was going to use it for tunes as well as gauges, but I really wanted to do custom tunes and potentially my own using their software. I asked PHP via email if it was possible to upload my own tunes if I so desired...the answer: This Spring they are coming out with compatability software to make this a possibility. I was very excited, but a few things to think about (the reason I didn't go with it) is it cannot be changed on the fly, I'm pretty sure the key has to be cycled off and back on, and it only holds three tunes. If these don't concern you I would go for it! Just to throw it out there, you can have custom tunes loaded on it from PHP - another plus. Good Luck
Old 02-18-2009, 11:54 AM

That sucks, it's not on the fly, I was hoping it was. I didn't get a chance to read through it all to find out yet. Guess for 7.3L it's hard to beat the custom tuned chips. Damn, would just be nice to have one that does it all like a programmer like edge with 140+ tune on the fly rather than having to get gauges and chip and if want to calibrate and monitor additional things you have to get another expensive monitor and hook it up.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrill Seeker View Post
That sucks, it's not on the fly, I was hoping it was. I didn't get a chance to read through it all to find out yet. Guess for 7.3L it's hard to beat the custom tuned chips. Damn, would just be nice to have one that does it all like a programmer like edge with 140+ tune on the fly rather than having to get gauges and chip and if want to calibrate and monitor additional things you have to get another expensive monitor and hook it up.
Doesn't really matter how many gizmos and gadgets you have if your motor has a hole in the side of it....
Old 02-18-2009, 12:04 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Quote:
Power Hungry Performance - Gryphon Dash Mount Programmer for 7.3L Power Stroke Diesels

Anyone here use this or have experience with it/know anything good or bad about it?

Seems to be the highest rated programmer for power and right up there with a custom chip for about the same price plus all the additional features it offers for calibration and monitoring that chips don't offer. I wanna hear if this is a good one to buy or not.

Post up!
You wont be dissapointed with PHP's tunes at all And I heard that straight from Tony Wildman. Bill was one of the original 7.3 tuners
Old 02-18-2009, 12:08 PM

I wish my truck was newer. The OBD II port doesn't accomodate the digital gauges like the insight. The only reason I liked the idea of digital was the audable alarms for various monitors. But no, I don't think you can beat the custom tunes witha good set of analog gauges. Probly better off with analog anyway. I'm going to try to wait on the custom tunes until I get a trans built up, my truck has a ton of miles on it!
Old 02-18-2009, 12:11 PM

Bill was great in answering my questions...very detailed and solution oriented. I emailed him at 11pm, had a response by 5AM the next morning! I don't think he sleeps!
Old 02-18-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkbogger View Post
I wish my truck was newer. The OBD II port doesn't accomodate the digital gauges like the insight. The only reason I liked the idea of digital was the audable alarms for various monitors. But no, I don't think you can beat the custom tunes witha good set of analog gauges. Probly better off with analog anyway. I'm going to try to wait on the custom tunes until I get a trans built up, my truck has a ton of miles on it!
Well the Glowshift Elite 7 color gauges have visual and audio warnings built into them. You can go that route. I'm very much so considering them.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:56 PM
Almostdunfukinwidit

Send a message via Yahoo to Dave
Quote:
Well the Glowshift Elite 7 color gauges have visual and audio warnings built into them. You can go that route. I'm very much so considering them.
Glowshift= junk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.