Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

MAJOR COLD START PROBLEM

678 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  helander14312 
#1 ·
I am guessing it can be one of two things. I have currently unhooked the fuel heater in the fuel bowl because of a short. I unhooked this and fixed my short problem. I have also changed my oil recently and used Rotella 15-40 oil. I am guessing this could be too think for winter time. If it is about 45 degrees out the truck will not turn over. It will crank and rumble like it is gonna turn over but never will. It will just rumble and blow white smoke out. Any suggestions or advice?

#2 ·
Check your glowplug relay with a volt meter. Another thing is glowplugs themselves being bad. You can check the glowplugs by removing them and using a multi meter and check the resistance of the glowplugs.

What is your location?

#4 ·
I am in central il and I have the same prob all the time.... Most likely the oil. I was told to go thinner for winter. I have to put a torpedo heater pointed at the oil pan for about 1/2 hr to an hour to get it to start otherwise... and that is plugged in. Once the oil heats up and thins down it starts right up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.