Need some HELP! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2009, 06:00 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Need some HELP!

I have been a lurker for quite some time, as I have only wished to own a PSD. Well, I am actually in the market now, so I am going to look at one today. I am completely new to diesel and the PSD, so I would like to get everyones opinion.

The truck is a 2002 7.3L PSD, Lariat eddition, 4x4, 6" lift, 37" BFG A/Ts, hypertech programmer, 4" custom exhaust (not sure what kind yet), K&N air filter, and 98,000 miles. The person is asking $15,000.

My question first...IS THIS A GOOD DEAL???

Second, when I go look at it today, what do I need to look for to see if it has been abused? Everything I read tells me I should not have to worry too much about the 7.3, but I figured I would ask some actual owners.

I appreciate the help fellas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2009, 06:03 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to ABoyAndHisToys
Become a member and pull an oasis report before you commit to anything. If the price is right and the report backs it up your golden. There is a thread here somewhere with things to look for when buying. I'll sniff around and try to find it I'd worry about the fact it has BEEN tuned with a hypertech and is breathing with a K&N. Chances are it's been spanked through it's life.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:07 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABoyAndHisToys View Post
I'd worry about the fact it has BEEN tuned with a hypertech and is breathing with a K&N.
Yeah me to. I know if I was looking for a used truck I wouldnt want to buy one from someone who drives it like I do. I do regular maintence I just drive the crap out of it
Old 02-15-2009, 06:29 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

I myself wouldn't buy a lifted, or a chipped truck unless I personally knew the person. Way to many idiots out there. I would rather find a clean used stock truck and modify it myself. Do you want a lifted truck? The mileage will suck if it hasn't been regeared. I will post some helpful things to look for.
OH, That K&N would also be a deal breaker, I understand the drop in's are the ones responsible for dusting so many 7.3's, but I have seen the intake filter develop holes the size of quarters from being driven in dusty enviorments as well. You need to look to see what trucks are going for in your area, what may be a good deal here isn't where you are, 15K still seems high as diesels just aren't selling, even though fuel prices are lower than they have been in a couple years.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:31 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

Here you go:

What to look for when buying a USED 99-03 PSD
Old 02-15-2009, 07:11 AM
Serving Our Country!

Hey i agree with what everybody else said but something i always do is when i am looking at something to buy i will test drive it and go down to a gas station or something and park the truck an look it over that away you aint got the guy you are buying it from talking to you and trying to make you miss something so get away from him for a few min and look the truck over from bumper to bumper this away your thinking about every you need to look at hope this helps and good luck with looking for a PSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.