No RPM on fireup - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2009, 03:03 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via MSN to hazardiz
No RPM on fireup

Hey,
lately when I've been firing up my diesel in the somewhat colder temps, 5 and down, for the first minute or two of driving the RPMs won't go over 1200 rpm...even if i put my foot to the floor...and then if i hold it at one spot the rpms bounce around a bunch for about 20 seconds and then it comes to life again...any ideas? bad sensor? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2009, 03:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Do you give it plenty of time to warm up? Reason i say that is i have a 95 powerstroke that is one my companies work trucks and its the same way. If you dont give it atleast 20 to 30 minutes to idle and warm up on cold days (about the temps you mentioned) you have no rpm for a few miles down the road then i guess once it totally warm up its fine. Dont know i guess it cold be a sensor or somthin??
Old 02-11-2009, 03:15 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

if you plug it in does it still do it?
Old 02-11-2009, 03:30 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

if its plugged in it comes to life quicker but still takes a bit...which i'm not sure is right...why does it do it? oil still to thick?...but remember my temps are in celsius being in canada...
Old 02-11-2009, 05:30 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
If it starts then the glow plugs are fine at that temp... What oil do you use?
Old 02-11-2009, 06:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

well it doesn't enjoy starting but it does...seems like its only firing on half the injectors for 3-5 seconds...i'm running 15-40
Old 02-11-2009, 10:30 PM

i'm not sure what causes it, but as a precaution, plug it in ..... and let it warm up, 15w40 at 35-40degrees is just thicker than molasses.....
Old 02-12-2009, 05:34 AM
Emergency Services

That is absolutely perfectly normal for your truck. It is there to prevent bonehead gasoline drivers from wrecking a cold diesel when it's really cold out side. You should let it do it's thing and give it plenty of time to warm up before you drive it.

Another thing you might notice is that your truck has a computerized high idle when it gets really really cold. If you start the truck and let it sit, the engine will rev up to about 1200 or so and sit there till it's warm enough to go back to regular idle.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:17 AM

Both my trucks do that... the van more so, it's a real slug untill it's warmed up. The van also doesn't have a block heater (yet, I just bought one, need to install it) and needs 10 to 15 min of warm up time or it won't move... hardly get into it's own way, let alone out of it's own way! The truck is a bit better, but yeah, if I don't plug it in, and it's cold, as in below 10 deg F, it doesn't like to start, you gotta hold the accel pedal part way down, cycle the glow plugs a few times, and hope it fires. It will frequently stall and need restarted if it's that cold. So I just make sure it's pluged in if it's below freezing. I like the idea of things being warm in the first place, I'm sure it helps with the wear and tear of a start up being at 60+ deg rather than below freezing with out "the rope" as some are callin' it now!

So, bottom line... plug it in if you can, other wise, let the poor cold beast warm up a bit...
Old 02-12-2009, 07:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

so the computer just limits fuel until it feels the engine is warm enough? I'm trying to understand the mechanics now cause obviously its an intended event and i'm not the only one...yipee...the issue with plugging it in is my land lady turns off the breaker to the plug to save money...yeah don't get me started...well thanks for the replies...another question...in the winter would I be better off running a thinner oil or maybe a full synthetic? i'm thinkin that'd help....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.