Fuel from auxiliary fuel tank to main tank??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2009, 01:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel from auxiliary fuel tank to main tank???

So heres my plan, i'm sure someone on heres done it so wanted to get a little help. Gonna be mounting a fuel tank in the bed of my truck next week. on the bottom of the tank is gonna be a 2 in. section of half in. pipe coming out so i can run a transfer hose to my main tank. I want to be able to pull up to the pump, put 100 some gallons in and be good for a while. I'm pretty sure i've seen it done before. gravity should be plenty to feed the fuel down into the main tank from the auxiliary in the bed i would guess. my question is whats the best way to tap into the main tank. somehow tap into the filler neck or tap into the tank itself? thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2009, 05:36 PM

Not a bad idea. There's only one thing I see missing: a fuel water separator between you aux tank and the OEM tank.

In any event, this might help:

http://www.rocketcityrockcrawlers.co...7-06-18_R1.pdf

Good luck.

Al
Old 02-11-2009, 06:37 PM

drill a hole in the filter neck and have a adapter welded on. then hook up the hose with a on/off valve.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:00 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
When I installed my AirDog, it had a separate return for the aerated fuel. Basically a short metal tube that gets installed in the rubber portion of the filler, and has a AN fitting. I bought mine through ITP, perhaps give Dennis a call to see if he can get the individual parts.

As far as gravity feed goes, I am not in favor of it due to the potential issues such as overfilling. For the 150ga aux tank I installed, I used a solenoid so I can select either tank. The solenoid has an electrical switch so the fuel gauge will work on whatever tank is selected. The solenoid I used is similar to this .
Old 02-11-2009, 08:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

my buddy did the same thing and he taped into the overflow tubing with a T. He put a ball valve on it so he could shut it off. just a heads up make sure the the tank has some sort of vent. his truck starting surging draging a 53' trailer with 3 vans on it goin up the grapevine. had to have his kid hang is head out the back window and unscrew the cap to get it to vent.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:22 PM

Been running my 110 gal L tank like that for years, there is a drain in the tank... Run a 1/4" hose from there under the truck, drill a hole and weld a fitting into the filler neck, install hose there...

It will ALWAYS keep the fuel tank full, and never overflow. 10 years, 4 trucks all set up the same and never a drop of fuel on the ground...
Old 02-12-2009, 07:11 AM
John Wood Nut Swinger

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Been running a gravity feed for a couple of years, or more. Never had any problems. I have a shut off on the side of the tank and under the bed of the truck. I run 3/8" hose from the tank to the vent line and have a filter in the system as well as you can see below.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:08 AM

This is why i always ask questions on here first. Somebody will always have an answer...

Thanks fellas.

My buddy is suppose to be done welding me up the tank this weekend (custom size and a whole lot cheaper than buying one). i'll let ya know how it goes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.