Starting Problems - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2009, 05:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Starting Problems

I have a 2001 7.3. When I go to start it in the morning it is not wanting to start. I have a remote start prestige alarm. When I turn the key over it gives a clicking sound coming from the column between the dash and steeringwheel. Almost like a bad ground. I have checked the grounds for the alarm and they seem fine. It will spin over but not start if I hear the clicking. Once I get it started for the first time it starts normally for the most part through out the day. I might get 1 or 2 times that it does it later in the day but it starts faster than it does first thing in the morning. I am thinking it might be the alarm but dont want to put a new one in if I dont have to. Does any one have any ideas or any similar experiences?

Thanks

Todd
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2009, 06:04 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

how old are your batteries?
Old 02-11-2009, 06:26 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The batteries are good. They are maybe a year old Optimas. When I turn the key over the starter spins the motor fine. I am really leaning towards it being an alarm issue.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:57 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to rsecondchance1
Have had the same problem 2 times, mine was the glow plug relay went bad and would not start on real cold mornings until you tryed about 3 times. Here is an easy way to see if this is true in your case. connect a light probe to a ground sorce and the other end to the cold side of the relay,with the key off, then turn the key to the ON postion and see if the light lights, if not you need the relay. Make sure you do this with a cold engine. That should solve your problem. I'll watch for your replay's
Old 02-14-2009, 01:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the advice but I have no clue where ther relay is. This made me remeber that my 93 7.3 had glow plug issues and it is very similar to what is happening now. Could you pleasse tell me where the relay is? This morning it was cooler than it has been since this started and it took a while to start.

Thanks

Todd
Old 02-14-2009, 02:45 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to rsecondchance1
Stand in front of the engine, step up on a stool about 2 steps. Look to the left center of the engine, just left of the fuel filer housing. There you should see 1 of 2 relays. One is taller then the other and both are in line of each other. the shorter one in the back is the Glow plug relay. It has 4 connectors on it 2 large and 2 small, the one big one to the far left is HOT. The one to the right hand side is cold with the key off. This one should not have a rubber cap on it. connect there. Then turn on your key to the RUN position. If your light lights then the relay is ok if not then chances are it's bad. Make sure that the truck is cold when you do this. Good luck
Old 02-14-2009, 03:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks. I will try it in the morning.

Todd
Old 02-15-2009, 07:15 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I put the volt meter on it this morning for the first start of the day. When I first turned the key on it read right at 10 volts. I kept trying and it got up to 11 to 11.2 volts. It finally started right after I took the volt meter off. If the relay is not throwing 12 volts does that mean that is going bad?

Thanks

Todd
Old 02-15-2009, 07:39 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

no it means the relay is working. when you turn the key to the run position the gp turn on and voltage should drop to about 10.5-11.5 volts. when was the last time the gps were changed?? how cold is it when you start it in the am??
Old 02-15-2009, 08:36 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I have never changed the glow plugs and the truck has 139,000. I live in Houston so it is not very cold. I think it got into the 50's last night. I have never had to plug the truck in since I bought it in 05. I am starting to lean back towards the alarm going out. Normally I could hit the remote start and the truck would fire right up or I could hit it while it was running and take the keys out with no problems. Now when I try to keep it running it is trying to engage the starter so I think something is wrong with the alarm. If anyone has any ideas please let me know. I dont really wnat to have to put in a new alarm if I dont have to.

Thanks

Todd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.