Engine shaking at idle? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2009, 02:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Engine shaking at idle?

Hey guys,

I have a weird problem. I changed the oil and fuel filter a few days ago. And just so you're aware, the fuel filter I removed was NOT the one piece design (with the lid built in to the filter). Also, the old filter had a silver/tin like screen around the filter itself (if that makes sense) and the new one did not. It was just the filter. But it screwed right on, so I installed it and it seems to run fine....

Fast forward to today. I noticed it shaking a LITTLE bit at idle this morning. Didn't really think much of it. Then I pulled up to the house and it felt like it sputtered a little bit, then when at idle, it shakes like an injector isn't firing or something? But it seems to be firing on all cylinders and runs like it is. I revved it up and popped the hood and everything. You can physically see the motor shake a little bit and feel it inside the truck. There's no check engine light on and no fuel leaks or anything.

Is there a difference in the early '99 fuel filter and the 99.5 fuel filter? Could this be the problem?

Any suggestions?

Thanks guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2009, 06:13 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

ttt! Any ideas? Bad fuel maybe? It does it intermittently....
Old 02-10-2009, 06:14 PM
scuffs *****

Send a message via AIM to Tyler
Is this after having a load on it for awhile?
Old 02-10-2009, 06:18 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

sounds like a typical 7.3 to me.Both of mine that I have had in the past done the same thing.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97StrokerG View Post
Is this after having a load on it for awhile?
Nope, no load on it previously. Like jbeasts10 said, it doesnt seem like a 'problem'. Just something I noticed today. I may just be worrying to much too. The truck has 219k. I'm just really in tune with it because I know how expensive they can be to fix

However, I did race a 2000 regular cab/long bed 4x4 Powerstroke after I had noticed this vibration. It was a 6 speed truck and had EFI Live? I thought I heard or an Edge, exhaust, intake, upgraded turbo, etc. We raced from a dig several times and he barrrrely pulled on me. Dude could bang gears to.

All I have done is a Superchip (came with the truck) and a DIY air filter. And my truck is an extended cab long bed, 4x4, so I'm suspecting I weigh a little bit more. So I guess it's doing OK....
Old 02-10-2009, 08:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

How long has it been since you changed the filters? Time and mileage?
Old 02-10-2009, 10:10 PM
scuffs *****

Send a message via AIM to Tyler
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHALL View Post
Nope, no load on it previously. Like jbeasts10 said, it doesnt seem like a 'problem'. Just something I noticed today. I may just be worrying to much too. The truck has 219k. I'm just really in tune with it because I know how expensive they can be to fix

However, I did race a 2000 regular cab/long bed 4x4 Powerstroke after I had noticed this vibration. It was a 6 speed truck and had EFI Live? I thought I heard or an Edge, exhaust, intake, upgraded turbo, etc. We raced from a dig several times and he barrrrely pulled on me. Dude could bang gears to.

All I have done is a Superchip (came with the truck) and a DIY air filter. And my truck is an extended cab long bed, 4x4, so I'm suspecting I weigh a little bit more. So I guess it's doing OK....
Racing counts as a load, if I go around and bang on the throttle a lot, it will idle like crap just what your talking about. I think your in the clear.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:20 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2005F250 View Post
How long has it been since you changed the filters? Time and mileage?
I changed both the engine oil filter/engine oil and the fuel filter at the same time. Last Thursday. They have about 500 miles on them...
Old 02-11-2009, 05:44 AM
Emergency Services

are those original injectors? One of them could be getting weak, and only works well when you increase the high pressure oil pressure. My brother's truck does that a bit. The other thing it could be is your HPOP/regulator or ICP sensor. All of those have to work in concert to make your idle smooth. If one is not working right, then the truck might still run, but with a slight variation.

If you can get a good scanner to check your ICP and do a contribution test, that might tell you where you have a problem.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:52 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by elibenson View Post
are those original injectors? One of them could be getting weak, and only works well when you increase the high pressure oil pressure. My brother's truck does that a bit. The other thing it could be is your HPOP/regulator or ICP sensor. All of those have to work in concert to make your idle smooth. If one is not working right, then the truck might still run, but with a slight variation.

If you can get a good scanner to check your ICP and do a contribution test, that might tell you where you have a problem.
I think the majority or all but one of the injectors is original. I'll have to look at the receipts of the previous owner. I know atleast one was changed.

It idled fine this morning on the way to work. I didn't notice any vibration at all while stopped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.