Valve Cover breather delete? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2009, 12:32 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Valve Cover breather delete?

I was wondering if anyone has a delete for the driver's side valve cover breather that is throwing so much oil into my intake tube and turbo? This causes a lot of oil consumption and I was wondering if anyone had disconnected the hose from the plastic intake tube and just thrown a standard breather element on it or hooked it up to a catch can or something? I know it needs to be vented but I would like to eliminate the oil consumption and burn off through the exhaust.
I was also thinking about installing a oil/water separator like on an air compressor like we do on our mustangs and remove the element from the separator.
Anyone have any ideas??? If you don't know what I am talking about just take your air intake hose off and look into the pipe you will see a tube with a hole in it pointing towards the filter end. This vents from the driver's side valve cover.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2009, 12:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
its called the CCV mode.. or crank case vent mod..... here is a link to one of the best CCV mode kits: CCV Mod
Old 02-10-2009, 12:47 PM

If you are seeing noticible oil consuption between changes. You have got somthing else wrong. The CCV should not blow enought oil to notice a diference between changes. Here is a sombody may be along shortly to help better than me.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:08 PM

yea, it doesn't really use oil. I've heard of guys draining their IC's after 100k + miles and only a few drops coming out. It's not a lot of oil but it does eat the factory boots from the inside out.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul@Stealth Automotive View Post
its called the CCV mode.. or crank case vent mod..... here is a link to one of the best CCV mode kits: CCV Mod
Thanks . . . picture is blurred out on website. Probably on purpose I am assuming? . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by szyd View Post
If you are seeing noticible oil consuption between changes. You have got somthing else wrong. The CCV should not blow enought oil to notice a diference between changes. Here is a sombody may be along shortly to help better than me.
Yes, I am using two quarts every 3 months or so! It could be oil rings in the pistons worn out, valve seals, turbo o-rings, etc . . . I don't mind adding oil but I mind the billowing smoke when I first start it up and when it's cold which definitely oil is burning! (looks like a leaf fire in my neighborhood) . . . lol

I know it is normal to have some smoke when the truck is cold in the winter and all the normal stuff with these trucks in the winter but she is definitely consuming and burning excess oil . . . I will try just deleting the ccv and putting a breather element on it for now to see if this helps with consumption if not I will just continue adding . . .
Old 02-10-2009, 01:30 PM

There has been some recent threads on this subject. You could have bad GPs or even injector issues. I bet you're smoke is not oil it is unburnt fuel. What happens when you plug it in does it smoke still mine will smoke bad if not plugged in but i have GP issues.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

this is good to know
thanks
Old 02-10-2009, 02:47 PM
Powerstroke.org Sponsor

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Raul@Stealth Automotive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickhorse View Post
Thanks . . . picture is blurred out on website. Probably on purpose I am assuming? . . .

Yes, I am using two quarts every 3 months or so! It could be oil rings in the pistons worn out, valve seals, turbo o-rings, etc . . . I don't mind adding oil but I mind the billowing smoke when I first start it up and when it's cold which definitely oil is burning! (looks like a leaf fire in my neighborhood) . . . lol

I know it is normal to have some smoke when the truck is cold in the winter and all the normal stuff with these trucks in the winter but she is definitely consuming and burning excess oil . . . I will try just deleting the ccv and putting a breather element on it for now to see if this helps with consumption if not I will just continue adding . . .
yah bud its on purpose

you shouldnt be going through that much oil.. you def have another problem
Old 02-11-2009, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szyd View Post
There has been some recent threads on this subject. You could have bad GPs or even injector issues. I bet you're smoke is not oil it is unburnt fuel. What happens when you plug it in does it smoke still mine will smoke bad if not plugged in but i have GP issues.
I replaced the glow plugs last year and the smoke is definitely oil burning not just cold start, unburnt fuel smoke. . . . I know the difference and the blue haze roaming around the neighborhood is definitely oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul@Stealth Automotive View Post
yah bud its on purpose

you shouldnt be going through that much oil.. you def have another problem
I know it's a problem just haven't figured out what it is yet and I don't have the time to pull the motor for a refreshing! Once it gets nice out in the spring I might not sure . . . I am going to keep tracking the oil consumption areas. The truck has some wet spots on various areas of the engine but no "driveway leakers" that I have seen!
Old 02-11-2009, 06:09 AM

check the turbo pedistal. mine was leaking for about a year and a half and i couldnt figure out where the heck it was coming from. how much smoke is coming out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.