What is wrong with the grey CPS? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-07-2009, 02:18 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Valley Springs
Posts: 316
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What is wrong with the grey CPS?

I keep hearing that the grey CPS is junk. What is wrong with them? I have a grey CPS in my glovebox for a spare that I think I bought from ford parts.com for $20 a while back. If I need to put it on is it not going to work? Or do they just not last as long as the black ones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 02-07-2009, 02:30 PM
The Screwy HEUI
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Smithfield, RI
Posts: 4,585
Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99' Powerstroke View Post
I keep hearing that the grey CPS is junk. What is wrong with them? I have a grey CPS in my glovebox for a spare that I think I bought from ford parts.com for $20 a while back. If I need to put it on is it not going to work? Or do they just not last as long as the black ones?
You'll find many mixed, unproven opinions about the grey CPSs. From personal experience, I haven't had any luck with them. The grey CPS in your glovebox will be fine, but it's a 50/50 shot of whether it will fail or not. The problem with them is, Ford & IH now outsources their CPS patent to a factory in Mexico, when the blue, black, & grey/black are made in the USA. The Mexico plant uses a diode of lesser quality, & it's prone to failure over time. Once it starts going, you'll either get poor performance, stalling, & stalling with no restart. It's really hard to find a black IH CPS, now. There are some members on the forum that has some for sale(PM Southpaw & see if he has any left!). dfuser.com sells a supposed 'new & improved' version with an IH p/n, that's supposed to make your engine run quieter, improve performance/MPG, & outlast any of the Ford/IH CPSs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 02-07-2009, 08:42 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Knoxville, TN Area
Posts: 544
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I have had bad luck with the black ones. I am currently running the Ford gray one. But I am thinking about getting that "new" one from dFuser. I would like to know if anyone has one on there truck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 02-11-2009, 05:53 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,540
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 02-11-2009, 06:34 AM
The Screwy HEUI
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Smithfield, RI
Posts: 4,585
Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by siloped View Post
I have had bad luck with the black ones. I am currently running the Ford gray one. But I am thinking about getting that "new" one from dFuser. I would like to know if anyone has one on there truck.
It's a pretty expensive endeavor. You've had bad luck with black ones?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 02-11-2009, 06:39 AM
Emergency Services

 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: W.V.
Posts: 1,671
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
MY GREY CPS, CAUSE ROUGH IDLE, INSTALLED BLACK, AND PROBLEM WENT AWAY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 02-11-2009, 06:42 AM
The Screwy HEUI
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Smithfield, RI
Posts: 4,585
Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19558077 View Post
MY GREY CPS, CAUSE ROUGH IDLE, INSTALLED BLACK, AND PROBLEM WENT AWAY
I've got 3 grey CPSs sitting on my shelf & they all caused rough idle(if I put one of them back on my rig, it won't start. Had to mark it with a pen.). I put in a black one & it was a day & night difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 02-11-2009, 06:43 AM
Emergency Services

 

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: W.V.
Posts: 1,671
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarRider View Post
You'll find many mixed, unproven opinions about the grey CPSs. From personal experience, I haven't had any luck with them. The grey CPS in your glovebox will be fine, but it's a 50/50 shot of whether it will fail or not. The problem with them is, Ford & IH now outsources their CPS patent to a factory in Mexico, when the blue, black, & grey/black are made in the USA. The Mexico plant uses a diode of lesser quality, & it's prone to failure over time. Once it starts going, you'll either get poor performance, stalling, & stalling with no restart. It's really hard to find a black IH CPS, now. There are some members on the forum that has some for sale(PM Southpaw & see if he has any left!). dfuser.com sells a supposed 'new & improved' version with an IH p/n, that's supposed to make your engine run quieter, improve performance/MPG, & outlast any of the Ford/IH CPSs.
THE DEFUSER IS JUST THE OLD IH BLUE ONE FOR THE DT466. I HAD ONE IN MINE AND IT SEEMED TO RUN GOOD WITH IT, COULDNT TELL ANY DIFF. BETWEEN BLUE, AND OLD STYLE BLACK
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 02-11-2009, 06:49 AM
The Screwy HEUI
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Smithfield, RI
Posts: 4,585
Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19558077 View Post
THE DEFUSER IS JUST THE OLD IH BLUE ONE FOR THE DT466. I HAD ONE IN MINE AND IT SEEMED TO RUN GOOD WITH IT, COULDNT TELL ANY DIFF. BETWEEN BLUE, AND OLD STYLE BLACK
.....& dfuser's selling it for twice as much as the black one. In a time of despair with hit-or-miss grey CPSs, you'd think they'd try to make more business by saving everyone from buying a grey one & selling the IH blue one cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 02-11-2009, 07:45 AM
Member
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 45
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
so if i can get an international one for a dt466 it will work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors