Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Steve

685 views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  steve144 
#1 ·
I have a 99 powerstroke with 165,000 and I know that the glow plugs are due to be replaced. Last week I was in -35 temps and 20mph wind and was unable to plug in. I was up a creek and needed the truck to start so I gave it a small shot of either. Will doing this mushroom the end of the plugs and force me to have to remove the heads to get them out?

#2 ·
It's unlikely if you've only done it once, but I wouldn't recommend constantly giving it ether. GPs aren't too expensive. Get them done before you really have problems!:thumb:

#4 ·
OOOF! The reason why it's an 'ether baby' is after a while, ether will cause serious damage on your piston rings & cause big time blow-by to a point it won't start without ether, not so much a temperature issue. With you shooting ether in your rig in cold temperatures gives it extra boost to start it. Ether would just about start anything in cold weather. Get those GPs & while you're @ it, check out a GPR from Stancor. You won't have to worry about your GP system for a while!:thumb:

#6 ·
#8 ·
You're all set, then! Good luck, buddy!

#9 ·
Ether can crack the ring landings on the pistons, wont damage the rings themselves.
There is so much pressure that can be generated, that the ring landings crack and
that will allow compression to leak around. If it gets too bad, the truck gets
"addicted" to it and will not start with out ether.

Avoid the stuff...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.