LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 02-07-2009, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy Steve

I have a 99 powerstroke with 165,000 and I know that the glow plugs are due to be replaced. Last week I was in -35 temps and 20mph wind and was unable to plug in. I was up a creek and needed the truck to start so I gave it a small shot of either. Will doing this mushroom the end of the plugs and force me to have to remove the heads to get them out?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 02-07-2009, 02:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve144 View Post
I have a 99 powerstroke with 165,000 and I know that the glow plugs are due to be replaced. Last week I was in -35 temps and 20mph wind and was unable to plug in. I was up a creek and needed the truck to start so I gave it a small shot of either. Will doing this mushroom the end of the plugs and force me to have to remove the heads to get them out?
It's unlikely if you've only done it once, but I wouldn't recommend constantly giving it ether. GPs aren't too expensive. Get them done before you really have problems!

"HEAVY" 2001 F-250 XLT 4x4 EC SB:
TW 6pos chip, S&B CAI, Monster 4" exhaust w/ Power Elbow, Big Head WGA, Technicooler, ITP boost fooler, Gen 1 Wicked Wheel, Six-Gun Tuner, Optima Yellow Tops, AutoMeter(Boost, Trans, EGT), CCV mod, MTS TC, MTS valve body, Trans Tech performance rebuild kit, TransGo shift kit, Hornblasters 242 Shocker Train Horns.

post #3 of 10 Old 02-07-2009, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Steve

Thanks, I had heard that only once could do it besides I hated to have to use it I don't want to make it an either baby. My old man has a vw diesel and its an either baby won't start without it even at 90degrees.

post #4 of 10 Old 02-07-2009, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Thanks, I had heard that only once could do it besides I hated to have to use it I don't want to make it an either baby. My old man has a vw diesel and its an either baby won't start without it even at 90degrees.
OOOF! The reason why it's an 'ether baby' is after a while, ether will cause serious damage on your piston rings & cause big time blow-by to a point it won't start without ether, not so much a temperature issue. With you shooting ether in your rig in cold temperatures gives it extra boost to start it. Ether would just about start anything in cold weather. Get those GPs & while you're @ it, check out a GPR from Stancor. You won't have to worry about your GP system for a while!

TW 6pos chip, S&B CAI, Monster 4" exhaust w/ Power Elbow, Big Head WGA, Technicooler, ITP boost fooler, Gen 1 Wicked Wheel, Six-Gun Tuner, Optima Yellow Tops, AutoMeter(Boost, Trans, EGT), CCV mod, MTS TC, MTS valve body, Trans Tech performance rebuild kit, TransGo shift kit, Hornblasters 242 Shocker Train Horns.

post #5 of 10 Old 02-07-2009, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Steve

Thanks for the info its always been a good starter considering it still has the original plugs in it this is the first time its given me trouble. I'll probably do the plugs this week you said to look into a gpr what is that?:

post #6 of 10 Old 02-07-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info its always been a good starter considering it still has the original plugs in it this is the first time its given me trouble. I'll probably do the plugs this week you said to look into a gpr what is that?:
GPR= Glow Plug Relay

Check this link out from Maintain:

Glow Plug / AIH Relay locations

It gives you the location of the GPR.

post #7 of 10 Old 02-07-2009, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Steve

OH ya Duh! I knew that I replaced that last winter Because I noticed one connection was burnt when I changed my fuel filter.

post #8 of 10 Old 02-07-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
OH ya Duh! I knew that I replaced that last winter Because I noticed one connection was burnt when I changed my fuel filter.
You're all set, then! Good luck, buddy!

post #9 of 10 Old 02-07-2009, 08:36 PM
dmd

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Ether can crack the ring landings on the pistons, wont damage the rings themselves.
There is so much pressure that can be generated, that the ring landings crack and
that will allow compression to leak around. If it gets too bad, the truck gets
"addicted" to it and will not start with out ether.

Avoid the stuff...

'00 F350 Supercrewzer Lariet, PSD, Auto, 3.73, CC, 4x4, SWB, SRW, 6-pos Chip, 6637 filter, 4-inch turbo back exhaust, Garrett 38r w/ high flow outlet, ITP overboost eliminator, AIH delete, Adrenaline HPOP, BTS Trans, Swamps IDM, In-tank & Pre-Pump mod, Heater Valve mod, X-car Sound Pannel mod, Train Horns / Packages: Trailer Tow, Camper, Off-Road. Overhead monitor DVD/TV/VCR (VCR under rear seat w/ 6 CD changer)
www.employees.org/~calridng (Offroad riding in California)
post #10 of 10 Old 02-07-2009, 08:44 PM Thread Starter
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Cool Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmd View Post
Ether can crack the ring landings on the pistons, wont damage the rings themselves.
There is so much pressure that can be generated, that the ring landings crack and
that will allow compression to leak around. If it gets too bad, the truck gets
"addicted" to it and will not start with out ether.

Avoid the stuff...
Ya thats what I thought thats why it killed me to have to do it. I got the new plugs comming so I'm not put in that situation again. Thanks for the info

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode