Steve - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-07-2009, 12:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy Steve

I have a 99 powerstroke with 165,000 and I know that the glow plugs are due to be replaced. Last week I was in -35 temps and 20mph wind and was unable to plug in. I was up a creek and needed the truck to start so I gave it a small shot of either. Will doing this mushroom the end of the plugs and force me to have to remove the heads to get them out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 02-07-2009, 01:16 PM
The Screwy HEUI
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Smithfield, RI
Posts: 4,585
Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve144 View Post
I have a 99 powerstroke with 165,000 and I know that the glow plugs are due to be replaced. Last week I was in -35 temps and 20mph wind and was unable to plug in. I was up a creek and needed the truck to start so I gave it a small shot of either. Will doing this mushroom the end of the plugs and force me to have to remove the heads to get them out?
It's unlikely if you've only done it once, but I wouldn't recommend constantly giving it ether. GPs aren't too expensive. Get them done before you really have problems!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 02-07-2009, 03:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Steve

Thanks, I had heard that only once could do it besides I hated to have to use it I don't want to make it an either baby. My old man has a vw diesel and its an either baby won't start without it even at 90degrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 02-07-2009, 03:46 PM
The Screwy HEUI
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Smithfield, RI
Posts: 4,585
Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve144 View Post
Thanks, I had heard that only once could do it besides I hated to have to use it I don't want to make it an either baby. My old man has a vw diesel and its an either baby won't start without it even at 90degrees.
OOOF! The reason why it's an 'ether baby' is after a while, ether will cause serious damage on your piston rings & cause big time blow-by to a point it won't start without ether, not so much a temperature issue. With you shooting ether in your rig in cold temperatures gives it extra boost to start it. Ether would just about start anything in cold weather. Get those GPs & while you're @ it, check out a GPR from Stancor. You won't have to worry about your GP system for a while!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 02-07-2009, 03:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Steve

Thanks for the info its always been a good starter considering it still has the original plugs in it this is the first time its given me trouble. I'll probably do the plugs this week you said to look into a gpr what is that?:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 02-07-2009, 03:57 PM
The Screwy HEUI
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Smithfield, RI
Posts: 4,585
Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve144 View Post
Thanks for the info its always been a good starter considering it still has the original plugs in it this is the first time its given me trouble. I'll probably do the plugs this week you said to look into a gpr what is that?:
GPR= Glow Plug Relay

Check this link out from Maintain:

http://www.powerstroke.org/forum/7-3...locations.html

It gives you the location of the GPR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 02-07-2009, 04:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Steve

OH ya Duh! I knew that I replaced that last winter Because I noticed one connection was burnt when I changed my fuel filter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 02-07-2009, 04:03 PM
The Screwy HEUI
 

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Smithfield, RI
Posts: 4,585
Thanks: 5
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve144 View Post
OH ya Duh! I knew that I replaced that last winter Because I noticed one connection was burnt when I changed my fuel filter.
You're all set, then! Good luck, buddy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9  
Old 02-07-2009, 07:36 PM
dmd dmd is offline
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 451
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Ether can crack the ring landings on the pistons, wont damage the rings themselves.
There is so much pressure that can be generated, that the ring landings crack and
that will allow compression to leak around. If it gets too bad, the truck gets
"addicted" to it and will not start with out ether.

Avoid the stuff...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10  
Old 02-07-2009, 07:44 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cool Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmd View Post
Ether can crack the ring landings on the pistons, wont damage the rings themselves.
There is so much pressure that can be generated, that the ring landings crack and
that will allow compression to leak around. If it gets too bad, the truck gets
"addicted" to it and will not start with out ether.

Avoid the stuff...
Ya thats what I thought thats why it killed me to have to do it. I got the new plugs comming so I'm not put in that situation again. Thanks for the info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors