Cat Converter Req. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2009, 02:07 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Cat Converter Req.

So i have this inspection place that is telling me i need a cat converter on my truck. i have a pre 99 and i found that some came with them and some didn't. I tried to tell them it wasnt required and they didnt come on any 99-02 trucks. They dont care. They have pissed me off beyond belief. So i talked to the manager and he said theres a sticker on the motor that tells if its required. Well i know they are lying about reading the sticker because all the stickers on the motor are basically covered in oil and dirt and you cant read them, so i know they didn't even look. Does anyone know where this POS sticker is? I found the emissions control sticker and it says nothing about a cat req. I can find nothing. Oh and i cant go to another emissions place because the county decided to rape all its residents and require all diesels be tested at this one facility. NO EXCEPTIONS. ITS F_IN BS!!! This is like the 7th or 8th year i've had my truck and the first issue i've ever had with the cat. Please help... My new plan for payback is to report every city school bus every city bus and every vehicle i see that is exempt with any little smoke coming out the exhaust to the EPA. I'm freakin pissed.

Last edited by Rob; 02-06-2009 at 03:57 PM. Reason: language
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2009, 02:28 PM
Powerstroke Junkie

I have been telling people emissions testing for diesels is coming and most think I am nuts!! All those that have removed their CAT's I sure hope they saved them because they ain't cheap. The law says whatever came on your truck from Ford for emissions control must stay on the truck. THEY CAN'T MAKE YOU ADD SOMETHING THAT DIDN'T COME ON THE TRUCK!!! Should be easy to find this printed in your states testing laws. I would then get a print out from Ford showing what your truck came with, or get a letter stating they didn't require them on all vehicles. I have a 2000 and don't have one either. You need to educate these idiots. I also don't understand making everyone go to one inspections station. Are your inspection stations owned by the state or private owners? Here they are privately owned, and only using one for all diesels would sure seem against the law and favortism.
Good luck, calm down, and educate yourself, then educate them. report them to the state if you have no luck with them.

NCH
Old 02-06-2009, 02:36 PM

calm down, key word, trust me im trying.

I've done what you've said. I got a printout direct from the ford dealership and showed this to them. It clearly shows no cat for 1999 truck.

He said it doesnt matter its required. I told him he cant by law require me to put something on my truck that didnt come on it from the factory. again they didnt care. That's when he told me theres a sticker on the motor that says if you need it after i called him later when i didnt understand how he knew if it was required. Now im in search of this so called sticker.

The facility is state or county owned. I totally agree that its favoritism. and they even charge like $10 more for the testing. just another way for the county to rape its residents and steal more of their money. Its complete BS its just started this year. I'm about ready to write a letter to the county or the mayor or someone.

Any ideas?
Old 02-06-2009, 02:38 PM

the only thing i can think of is theres a code on the emissions sticker.
Perhaps they can lookup the code or some crap
Old 02-06-2009, 02:43 PM
Raging Lunatic

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Here is what the sticker looks like, mine is on the radiator support in front of the passenger battery. If no cat. is required then it will not say catalyst. Hope this helps.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:44 PM

Tell him to show you the sticker.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:45 PM

ya i dont have that sticker. And mine is a 7.3 so it may be in a different spot?
Old 02-06-2009, 02:46 PM

ya that was tomorrows plan but i dont want to look like a retard if it really says i need one.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:49 PM
Raging Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by larz18 View Post
ya i dont have that sticker. And mine is a 7.3 so it may be in a different spot?
This will be the sticker whether you have a 7.3 or 6.0, and the sticker will say catalyst or non-catalyst, not sure of the location either on the 99's.
Old 02-06-2009, 02:52 PM
Viking Heavy Diesel

I dont see one on my truck!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.