braking - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2009, 10:09 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
braking

I thought this was odd, i checked my brakes today, and the rear brakes need changing again, i've had my 02 f-350 for two years now, and this is the second time i've had to change the rear brakes, i've never touched the front set yet, they are have a good 80-90% remaining. is this normal for the powerstrokes? because every car/truck i've ever owned has been the opposite, i'd go through the front brakes 2-3 times faster than the rears, could it also be an issue with the proportioning valve? also i wanted to upgrade the rotors and pads, any ideas where i could order from, i'm thinking ceramic pads this time, but i'll wait to hear what you guys have to say...............thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2009, 11:51 AM
The Screwy HEUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by matter View Post
I thought this was odd, i checked my brakes today, and the rear brakes need changing again, i've had my 02 f-350 for two years now, and this is the second time i've had to change the rear brakes, i've never touched the front set yet, they are have a good 80-90% remaining. is this normal for the powerstrokes? because every car/truck i've ever owned has been the opposite, i'd go through the front brakes 2-3 times faster than the rears, could it also be an issue with the proportioning valve? also i wanted to upgrade the rotors and pads, any ideas where i could order from, i'm thinking ceramic pads this time, but i'll wait to hear what you guys have to say...............thanks
Have you had any issues resetting your rear calipers? You didn't use an airtool to reset them, right? There's a possibility you might need your rear calipers replaced if so. As far as pad/rotor upgrades, I've noticed many people go for cross-drilled rotors. When it comes to namebrands, I couldn't tell ya from experience, but EBC, Hawk, & Baer(little on the $$$$ side) are all great & make upgrades for your rig.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:21 PM
Powerstroke Junkie

Don't use drilled rotors unless they are the roto pros, others will crack. Powerslot and Cyro'd rotors are what I use and are awesome. But you have a serious problem!! You should go through 2-3 sets of fronts to one set of rears. My guess is you have rear caliper pin/pins that are stuck, or sticking. Make sure they are Free and properly lubed.

NCH
Old 02-01-2009, 02:53 PM

i replaced one of the calipers last year, i always grease my slide pins every brake change, so, i kind of ruled out that as the culprit, thats why i was starting to think the proportioning valve, if thats messed up, i guess it could explain, but then maybe its the front calipers, as the rear works just fine.......i've also seen adjustable proportioning valves, but for rear disk conversions, i was wanting to know if the stock unit can be adjusted at all? i'm not sure, i've nevered messed with this part before, though i've done tons a brake work..........................thanks.............. .....any opinions on ceramic pads?
Old 02-01-2009, 03:07 PM
The Screwy HEUI

Quote:
Originally Posted by matter View Post
i replaced one of the calipers last year, i always grease my slide pins every brake change, so, i kind of ruled out that as the culprit, thats why i was starting to think the proportioning valve, if thats messed up, i guess it could explain, but then maybe its the front calipers, as the rear works just fine.......i've also seen adjustable proportioning valves, but for rear disk conversions, i was wanting to know if the stock unit can be adjusted at all? i'm not sure, i've nevered messed with this part before, though i've done tons a brake work..........................thanks.............. .....any opinions on ceramic pads?
They say ceramic pads are the way to go, though a bit more on the expensive side. They only problem I've ever had with them is excessive squeaking if an anti-squeal pad or brake grease isn't applied in the correct areas on the pad(back & ears.).
Old 02-02-2009, 03:09 AM
Powerstroke Junkie

If you rear brakes are wearing that fast ceramic pads ain't going to help, they may last longer, but you still have a problem. If you are sure there is no problem with the rear calipers, I would replace the proportioning valve, not sure what else could cause it.

NCH
Old 02-02-2009, 06:46 AM

i was thinking about all night, i came up with either the front slide pins are stuck, because i've never serviced them, or i might have air in the front lines, i'm going to tear into it here in a couple of days, i'll find out whats wrong, just wanted to see if anyone has come across this before.........thanks ........btw, i'm replacing all rotors and brakes too...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.