What about this 7.3? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2014, 07:00 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What about this 7.3?

I saw a 2002 7.3 Supercab XLT 4x4 w/ 8ft box on line. I may go look at it when I get back home next week if it hasn't sold.

The pictures make it look like new, but we all know pictures can be deceiving sometimes.

Supposedly it was "Grandpa's" truck. It only has 40k miles on it. They are asking $27,610 which is way, way high from the various places who give values. Edmunds says $13,813. KBB says $18,845 fair value, with a range of $17,862 to $19,827. NADA says $15,850.

If that thing is what it's represented to be, and if the price was right, it'd be all the truck I'd need.

Should a 2002 w/ only 40k miles raise red flags?

Last edited by Atlee; 08-01-2014 at 03:55 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2014, 04:34 PM

Run a carfax report to be sure, have a local mechanic take a look at it and see what he thinks. Whatever the value of it is now, just know that as you put miles on it, the resale value will drop drastically into the KBB/NADA range very quickly. Honestly, at that price point I'd be looking at a newer 6.4L. I love my 7.3, but that's a LOT of money for a 12 year old truck.

That said, if everything checks out and it's in as good of condition as the pictures portray, it comes down to how much is it worth to you? Is it worth paying $8000-$13,000 over the book value to have that truck, or would you rather find one almost as nice for a more reasonable price. Mileage isn't that much of a concern on these trucks, and $8000-$13,000 is a LOT of upgrades, cleaning and repairs that you could do on a different truck!
Old 07-31-2014, 04:48 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

You could probably buy a 04-06 6.0 with around 100k miles bullet proof it and still be near the 27k asking price if the 7.3, plus have a newer nicer truck with more power. That's assuming both are stock.
Old 08-01-2014, 05:38 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

As others have stated...that is a REALLY HIGH price. Question to ask yourself...is it exactly what you want or would you buy it and make changes to it? The only way I would pay that kind of money for a 12 year old truck is if were absolutely perfect and exactly what I wanted. Good Luck!
Old 08-01-2014, 06:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

What would be a reasonable price? Edmund's $13,813 or NADA's $15,815, or KBB's range of $17,862 to $19,897.

I haven't talked to the owner yet, since I'm still down in Florida. I don't knopw if his listed price is THE price or his beginning point.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:05 AM
Can you hear the derail??

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Nada would be reasonable, but with his asking price, he will feel low balled on all those figures
Old 08-01-2014, 06:08 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

The only change I would be making is to add an exhaust type brake to it. I feel an exhaust type brake would come in handy on my trip to the Rockies in 2015.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSTR-P View Post
As others have stated...that is a REALLY HIGH price. Question to ask yourself...is it exactly what you want or would you buy it and make changes to it? The only way I would pay that kind of money for a 12 year old truck is if were absolutely perfect and exactly what I wanted. Good Luck!
Old 08-01-2014, 06:17 AM

What will you be hauling through the Rockies? I'd find a similar truck for half the price in a southern state if I were you, I just can't see dropping that much cash on a truck that old and still try to upgrade
Old 08-01-2014, 06:17 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

A local dealer, Richmond, VA area, has a 2005 King Ranch crew cab, 4x4 w/ 68,852 miles on it. He's asking $25,500 for it. Unfortunately it has the 6.0 and I'm very, very leery of that engine.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:18 AM

Studded and deleted that 6.0 can put down some serious power tho
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.